DAC Shim Line Out - No Audio

Struggling to get any sound output from the DAC Shim Line Out.

/boot/config.txt edited:
dtparam=spi=on
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac
gpio=25=op,dh

snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac shows selected when right clicking speaker icon on desktop

aplay -l shows card 1: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac], device 0: HifiBerry DAC HiFi pcm5102a-hifi-0 [HifiBerry DAC HiFi pcm5102a-hifi-0]

cat /proc/asound/cards shows 1 [sndrpihifiberry]: RPi-simple - snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac

I can get audio via rpi jack but not at the DAC shim.

I have tried #dtparam=audio=off but still no output but also gives me an error “Couldn’t reserve audio samples” on my chosen player (fruitbox)

Have I got a broken shim ?

What do you have connected to the Line Out? If it’s speakers, they need to be amplified speakers.

line out to amplifier then speakers

Ok, it’s not that then. Clean install of Pi OS? Any tinkering etc done on that Pi previous to this?

What command are you using to play audio?

Just tried a clean install of Volumio3, only because its a quick and reliable install (I have 2 pi’s running it) - still no sound

no commands just playing from Volumio, Fruitbox or VLC via the desktop

Another clean install (Raspian Buster) and installed Mopidy per the Pimorini instructions.

DAC is recognised and selected.
Mopidy has found and scanned the music files. Still no audio via the Iris UI.

SORTED - tried the dac on an old Pi2 and it works fine, just need to get it running on the 3B+ now I know the dac’s OK

Did you use the same micro-SD on your old Pi2 (i.e. running the clean install Buster)? The reason I am asking is that more recent versions of PiOS use pulse-audio instead of pure ALSA, maybe this is part of the problem. And have you tried running pavucontrol?

1 Like