Display-o-Tron HAT addressing

Display-o-Tron is working perfectly on a Pi3+.
Piface 2 Digital io relay board is working perfectly on a Pi3+
When they are both connected the Display-o-Tron display is not updated, only the cursor flashes.
They keypad responds perfectly.
I have tried changing the hardware addressing on the PiFace but this has had no effect.

Someone much cleverer than I suggested it might be possible to change SPI I2C control addresses but I have no idea how to do that.

Any suggestions welcome.

The display o tron hat pinout is here, https://pinout.xyz/pinout/display_o_tron_hat# if that helps. I couldn’t find any decent info on the Piface though? Other than price and availability.

Thanks but I already know that there is a pin incompatibility. I need to know if it is possible to change the address assignments and if so how to do it. I can find nothing about this in any Pimoroni docs and I know that the PiFace addresses cannnot be reassigned. :(

Probably not? Usually, if the i2c address is changeable with say a jumper, its mentioned in the documentation and or description. The display o tron uses two i2c addresses. You’ll probably find those are the i2c address for the chip used to do that function.
That’s one drawback to this type of stuff. The official Pi Foundation Hat standard, dictates that only one Hat can be used. If you follow the standard and use the eprom with the HAT ID. If they don’t have the eprom they aren’t technically a “HAT” but you can then use more than one. I think that’s why a lot don’t use the eprom.
Even then though, you can end up in a situation where addresses collide. That’s the way things go some times. Adding the option to change the i2c address adss extra cost etc. If its even doable and you have space on the board to do it.

The display on Display-o-Tron HAT uses SPI- which does not support addressing, but rather uses chip-select pins. It’s likely you’ve encountered a pin conflict that is not possible to fix without compromising functions from one HAT or the other, or manually re-assigning pins. I don’t have any information on the Pi Face Digital pinout, though, so I couldn’t venture what the problem might be.

Thanks for all the info/help. I have now purchased a USB relay and a I2C relay with programmable address which should bypass the address issue.

I’m making progress but have a related question.
If I call a subroutine keys are no longer responded to.
Does that mean that I cannot use subroutines and still recognise that a “cancel” key has been pressed to exit the routine?
Or do I have to somehow pass the key value, which has not yet been pressed, to the subroutine that is being called?
Or do I have to bring my subroutine into the key loop?

You’ll have to post some minimal example code, because I’m struggling to grasp your problem. Is this in Python?

Generally the only thing you should ever do in a button press handler is set some global state which is then read and acted upon by your main loop and - potentially - any threads you have running.

Thanks got it working!
Yes Python.

Ouch! its not working how I want! And not recognising a key press whilst in a loop writing to usb relays.The program is 600 lines. Is it acceptable to post 600 lines to ask for assistance? If so how do I put ‘’’ in front of 600 lines? Sorry to be a pain. I was really pleased with my progress but… my program works great except that I cannot escape from my disstate=4. This would allow me to exit the scanning loop.

OK I’ll try again.
With my program after the TOUCH key is selected it runs a loop which lasts about 5 minutes. During this time is seems impossible to recognise another keypress although the another key is programmed to recognise the state and cancel the loop. Is this so designed? Is there another command which I should be using? I read about a menu plugin. Is this the way I have to go?