Display-O-Tron HAT - help

Hi

Just received my Display-O-Tron HAT it looks great but as a complete nooby I was wondering if someone could give me a few pointers as to how to use/code it, a simple piece of code would be useful.

Out of interest what size pins are used in the GPIO breakout as my existing breadboard pins just waggle about in the holes, or is there another way of connecting a breadboard to it.

Regards… Colin

Ahoy!

What are you looking to accomplish? We’ve got a whole Python software library with tons of examples showing how to build menus, twiddle the backlight, display text, etc.

You can get the Python software library installed with the dot3k script, like so:

curl get.pimoroni.com/dot3k | bash

After which you should have a Pimoroni folder at: /home/pi/Pimoroni full of code you can tinker about with.

The GPIO breakout requires a male or female header to be soldered on before it can be reliably used. You could probably bend some single-core breadboard wire and get a sort-of connection without soldering, but it would be incredibly flaky!

Anyway! Let me know what you want to do, and I can talk you through the steps!

Thanks for the info. What I wanted to do physically was to be able to control a stepper motor using the RPi and screen plus keypads.

Software wise I just wanted to test run the screen and get an idea of what it can do.

Concerning the GPIO header, soldering would not be a problem but which headers can I use, can you suggest one?

Colin