Display-O-Tron HAT can't display back light

Hi Sir,

I recently bought a Display-O-Tron HAT. After installed the python driver and downloaded the examples on my Pi zero w, I ran the below command:
python ~/Pimoroni/displayotron/examples/dothat/basic/backlight.py

And there is just showing “Such Rainbow!” but no back light as below picture:

Any errors? How did you install the library?

Could you take a quick photo of the underside of the board, just to make sure the soldering is ok?

Hi Sandy,

No errors, I installed the library by:
curl https://get.pimoroni.com/displayotron | bash

Could you take a photo of the underside of the Raspberry Pi board, too? From the edge, the soldering looks a little blobby, but it’s difficult to tell.

Ah yeah, sorry, that’s what I’d meant. I should have been more explicit. :-)

That unsoldered joint means your voltage booster might be a little flaky- not sure how that got past our quality control- but it’s unrelated to the backlight feature. It doesn’t exactly instil confidence that the rest of the board is okay, though!

Hi,

I’ve already tried to install display-o-tron hat to another pi zero w, and the backlight still not working. Please give me some advice, thank you.

Hi,

I’ve already tried to install display-o-tron hat to another pi zero w, and the backlight still not working. Please give me some advice, thank you.

Hi,

I also installed display-o-tron hat to raspberry pi 3, and the backlight still doesn’t work.

IMG_2034

Sounds like you need a replacement! Please email support@pimoroni.com and explain that Sandy said to give you a replacement! ;-)