DOTHAT Not Displaying Text

Just make sure you include your order number so we know who it’s from. Ideally stick it on a printed sheet of paper with a link to this forum thread and mark it up “FAO: Phil Howard” so it comes my way pronto!

We’ve not put any points into the Bureaucracy skill tree yet!

Just received your Display-o-Tron HAT and tested it immediately. The backlight clearly shows up some quite serious cracks in the LCD itself- I’d wager it survived testing, but obviously didn’t survive the journey to you.

In short, it’s toast! We’ll get a new one sent out to you ASAP and I’ll find out what the score is for refunding your postage.

Great, thanks for the quick turn-around. These things happen!

All working fine now. Cool device!

Updated my Pi and installed the drivers “curl get.pimoroni.com/dot3k | bash”

try ro run sudo python backlight.py in the following directory ~/Pimoroni/dot3k/dothat/basic $

Get the following any suggestions much appreciated

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “backlight.py”, line 4, in
import dothat.lcd as lcd
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dothat/lcd.py”, line 6, in
lcd = st7036.st7036(register_select_pin=25, reset_pin=12)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/st7036.py”, line 25, in init
self.spi.open(0, spi_chip_select)
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Looks like your SPI isn’t enabled for some reason. Try:

sudo raspi-config

Then Advanced Options -> SPI -> Yes & Yes

That did the trick !

thank you so much for your support

I am having the same problem, I am using a raspberry Pi 3 and a DOTHat.

I have run all the example scripts and none are displaying any text, I have turned on SPI, tried setting the contrast turning the display on and off with lcd.set_display_mode and can get nothing to be displayed.

Any ideas?

Make absolutely sure you’re running the Display-o-Tron HAT examples (https://github.com/pimoroni/displayotron/tree/master/examples/dothat) and not the Display-o-Tron 3000 ones since the latter wont work.

Additionally, make sure you’ve not got any code running in the background which might be interfering with the GPIO pins ( it happens).

Definitely running the dot hat examples, have tried the 3k ones on the off
chance they would work.

I installed it on a fresh installation of rasbian, first thing I did was
run the install script and try to run the hello world script.

I have a colleague who has one and some code working. I’m going to get him
to try and see if it works on his pi.

That’s a good plan, let me know what you find. In the mean time I’ll see if I recall any other common gotchas it could be. There’s always the chance of a faulty board, but it’s usually something software!

Hi,
I purchased my Display-O-Tron HAT back in November 2017 and I have only just got around to trying it out with a Raspberry Pi 3b. Unfortunately it does not display any text. All the other functions work as expected. I have looked through all the threads on the subject and haven’t found anything that helps. Are they any suggestions? - Thanks.