Enviro+ with Breakout Board BME 680

Afternoon - I have just soldered a BME680 to the Enviro+ but I’m having issues getting it to run. When i run the example ‘read-all’ i get:

File “read-all.py”, line 13, in
sensor = bme680.BME680(0x76)
File “build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/bme680/init.py”, line 47, in init
RuntimeError: BME680 Not Found. Invalid CHIP ID: 0x60

I’m assuming a conflict with the onboard 280 chip (?) Any help would be really appreciated…

Andy

Yes, you have a conflict, you can’t have two devices with the same i2c address on the same i2c bus.
You will have to solder the ADDR+1 jumper pads together on the BME680. And change the python code to look at 0x77.

Thanks for the reply - i have soldered the jumper pads - they look like they were already joined though? Two images attached - before and after

My i2c check is not showing 77 - i have now done this on two new bme680 units, both are working on a test pi (at 76) but i cant get either of them running on the Enviro+. I’m assuming as the soldering the pad has not changed the irc to 77. Am i missing something fundermental here or has the current board changed?

0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f

00: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- –
10: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
20: – -- – 23 – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
30: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
40: – -- – -- – -- – -- – 49 – -- – -- – --
50: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
60: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
70: – -- – -- – -- 76 –

It looks like on yours you needed to cut the track between the pads? The product page, which was what I was going by, shows it the other way, already open?

I have a BME680 but its bolted down and I can’t see the backside. The BME280’s that I have are like your BME680, you cut the track to change the address. Sorry about that, I guess i should have looked at what I had? They must have changed the design at some point?

Thanks for the reply - i desoldered and cut the tracks - it all works now :)

Andy

Great, nice to hear you have it working the way you want. That’s a nice option, now you can do indoor outdoor temperature etc. ;)