Explorer phat error "Warning, could not find Analog or Touch... Please check your i2c settings!"

I bought a explorer phat for pi zero wh and I can’t seem to get past this error:

pi@raspberrypi:~/explorer-hat/tutorial $ python3
Python 3.5.3 (default, Jan 19 2017, 14:11:04)
[GCC 6.3.0 20170124] on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import explorerhat
 Warning, could not find Analog or Touch...
 Please check your i2c settings!`

i2c is enabled in raspi-config.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo i2cdetect -y 1
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat /etc/modules
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.
i2c-dev

General questions:

• When I connect up a phat, do I need to restart my pi for it be recognized or is it “plug and play”?
  • If the problem is with my pi, what can I do to confirm it? Any diagnostics for the GPIO?

I really wish there were howto videos on getting started with these phats. I barely see any information about this error online.

Hammer header? Nothing is soldered in your picture? If you just put it on top of the Pi Zero with no header on the explorer phat, that’s your issue. You won’t gat a reliable, if any connection to the Pi that way.

I’m using the WH module with the header built-in. There’s a spacer there in-between the pi and explorer that you can’t really see. It looks similar to this:

Am I required to solder the explorer phat to the zero? I figured if it was secure and the contacts are touching it would work.

Any pics you could share of a working unit would be helpful. Thanks!

Usually you solder a female header to the explorer pHat, one should have come with it.

In the bottom picture, if you look closely, you can see a female header on the bottom of the explorer pHat. That is plugged into the male header on the mini black hat hak3r

Your going to want a header on the outputs too, IMHO.

Alright, I was really hoping that I didn’t have to solder anything but that’s ok. Thanks.

The hammer headers are solderless. I’ve never used one myself though. I’m an electronic technician by trade so soldering is second nature to me.

The simple way to visualise the issue with not soldering headers (unless they’re explicitly solderless ones like our hammer headers) is that they’re literally a square peg into a round hole.

The contact surface from the outside edge of a square, to the inside of a circle is minimal at best- and simply not sufficient for a reliable electrical connection. There are ways to temporarily fudge single rows of strip headers to kinda work without soldering them, but trust me when I say that usually results in more trouble than it’s worth :D

You should give soldering a chance!

1 Like