Fan shim & button shim together?

Hey folks, was wondering how I’d go about adding a fan shim and then soldering some wires so I can remote mount a button shim.
Both the fan and button shims share pin 5 so I imagine it’s a case of changing the code for the button shim to use another pin. Trouble is I have no idea how to do that…

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

The +5V, +3.3V and ground pins on the GPIO header can be used by multiple devices. It’s just power and ground. i2c can be shared to as long as no two i2c devices have the same i2c address.
Button shim pinout is here.

And the Fan Shim pinout is here.

Does the button shim need to be mounted remotely? If not, put the fan shim on the GPIO and then plug the button shim in on top of it.

Ahh ok that’s great news!

Buttons won’t be accessible if mounted straight into the pi so yes unfortunately not as simple as just dropping it on top.

Thanks

One way to do it is as follows.
Get one of these

and a female header

Solder it up and plug it in onto of the fan shim.
Then solder on the wires you need for your button shim on the second set of GPIO solder pads.
It can be removed and or moved to another Pi without affecting the Pi GPIO’s.

You could also just get a female header, plug that in on top of the Fan Shim, and solder your button shim wires right to its pins. You just have to be really careful not to short any pins together.