Flotilla "ShipShape" Update: Dip in and try the pre-release ( NEW: Updated Python API )

OK, did flashing go as expected? if you run that installer again it should identify the dock version and tell you it’s running the latest.

If so, I suspect the problem might be a browser cache related issue… I’m going to grab a few screenshots of the old and new look to make clear what you should see at this point.

It could also be the USB cable playing up, but I don’t think you’d successfully flash the firmware if it was.

Yes the flashing did work. It worked earlier, and when I ran the latest script it said its already up to date.

here are screenshots of the old and new look:

old -

If you see this then it’s either a case of the url used to access being only suitable for original firmware (as in, intentionally, when I took that screenshot), or your browser cache pushing the wrong thing.

new -

This is how it should look now. If if does but you get a ‘no dock found’ type of message, then it could be that the server is not running.

try:

sudo service flotillad restart

… that might do the trick.

So its always been the second sort. Now I rebooted, tried again and its showing 2 docks! I only have one!

At least its showing the dock though.

Will have a play

yes, sometimes it will list a dock several times (well twice)… I think it has to do with hostname and ip… it’s fixed in the ‘latest of everything’ that we are yet to push to the repo, I think, but I’ll check.

either way, you should be able to select one of the 2 (does not matter which one) reliably, so call it a glitch without consequences other than being annoying :)

well it seems to work better, and its MUCH more responsive that before, thanks for the help.

Can I get access to the cookbooks now? If so how do I do that?

Also, one of the motors doesn’t seem to run properly, it does one rotation then stops, what can be done?

regarding your motor issue, please email support@pimoroni.com, along with your Kickstarter details.

Cookbooks, there are 2 that I have verified are usable:

http://flotil.la/cookbook/balance.html
(you need Slider connected to the dock, in any port)

http://flotil.la/cookbook/mood-light.html
(you need a Touch and Rainbow connected to the dock, in any ports)

at least they function, but don’t look anywhere as slick as they will be once finished. For the rest, see the last two updates on Kickstarter for progress status.

Hi - I’m running Epiphany 382 on Jessie.

The curl script updated my dock from 1.13 to 1.14 and hitting the online flotilla address now finds the dock.

I did have duplicate “unnamed” entries for dock appearing in Rockpool and neither seemed to work. I deleted the browser cache and that dropped me to a single instance which then responded.

Controls appear to be registering in cookbook for Synth, but I still get no noise. A wav sample plays fine.

I’ve just tried a plug and play of the modules with Rockpool, from the mega chest, all appear to meet expectations except:
*Motion: module registers but I don’t get any readings coming through for shake, heading or steer
*Colour: I do get some variation in readings for brightness and rgb, but I’m not sure what latter should be telling me (what is expected range of swing) or how to test (been holding the module boxes over sensor)

Is this running the Synth example on the Pi? I’ve a suspicion that the Pi browser is a bit too crusty and backwards to support any kind of sound generation. Most Cookbook recipes are as yet untested on the Pi, since early-optimisation is a terribly bad habit. The final tweaking stage may correct some problems.

It was running Synth on the Pi. It had never occurred to me it wasn’t designed to.

With Flotilla attached to Pi, I’ve tried running Synth on an iPad in both Chrome and Safari, and get the same result: controls register change but no sound.

Yeah it appears the Pi’s somewhat crusty Epiphany browser doesn’t support the Web Audio API, which is really frustrating but unsurprising since I’ve been battling Epiphany every step of the way with both Rockpool and Cookbook.

The lack of sound on an iPad is a bug though, which I’ve just spent this morning looking into. I found a fix that works on my iPhone and applied it to the live Synth in Cookbook. You should give it a try:

http://flotil.la/cookbook/synth/

A selection of results

Noise

• iPhone Safari & Chrome (mobile and desktop render)
  • Android Nexus phone Chrome (desktop render)
  • Chrome book running chrome

No noise

• Ipad
  • Nexus phone Chrome mobile render

As for the controls:

• Touch - changes tone
  • Light - tinkles
  • Slider - snare? Difference seems quite subtle
  • Dial - no idea!

Is there any scope to get some soft labels applied for the controls other than Touch?

I’m glad to be getting some sound output & hope this feedback is proving useful.

1 Like

Curious regarding the iPad, what version of iOS is it running?

The dial changes the note progression by altering the pseudo-random seed. The slider brings in different drum patterns and bass depending upon its position.

Light is similar to a “D-Beam” ( which is an IR distance sensing input you get on Roland synthesizers ) although not quite as effective- if the light level changes substantially, it will play a note corresponding to the new light level. When things are getting a little more rounded off, I’ll tinker around and see if I can make it more generally playable.

iPad is iOS 9.3.2

The touch and light controls make an obvious difference to the audio output. Slider and dial are much harder to discern - leading to “what does this do” queries from my kids.

We’ll have a look at that this week. We’ll try to tweak it a bit to make the changes more audible. Thanks for the feedback!

Video of new version looks good - and thanks for taking on the feedback.

Looking forward to the arrival.