How to operate the 0.96" LCD with an Arduino?

I’m just looking for general instructions on using this 0.96" LCD with an Arduino, since the store page indicates that they are compatible, but I can’t find any instructions and the linked GitHub repository doesn’t even mention “Arduino”. Is there a specific library I should be using?

I’m specifically using an Arduino Uno Rev3, if that matters.

This maybe?
adafruit/Adafruit-ST7735-Library: This is a library for the Adafruit 1.8" SPI display http://www.adafruit.com/products/358 and http://www.adafruit.com/products/618 (github.com)

1 Like

Thank you! That almost works, but I seem to be missing something, or maybe there’s a compatibility issue.

I’ve written the following sketch, based on their examples:

#include <Adafruit_GFX.h>
#include <Adafruit_ST7735.h>
#include <SPI.h>

#define TFT_CS 13
#define TFT_SCLK 12
#define TFT_MOSI 11
#define TFT_DC 10
#define TFT_BL 9
#define TFT_RST -1 // unused

Adafruit_ST7735 tft = Adafruit_ST7735(TFT_CS, TFT_DC, TFT_MOSI, TFT_SCLK, TFT_RST);

void setup() {
  tft.initR(INITR_MINI160x80);
  tft.fillScreen(ST77XX_BLACK);
}

void loop() {}

I’ve attached the screen’s CS, SCK, MOSI, DC, and BL pins to the indicated Arduino pins, “3-5V” to 5V, and GND to ground. Running the sketch turns the screen white rather than black, but with rainbow static around the left and bottom edges.

Other predefined colors don’t work properly, but in a way I can’t figure out:

• “ST77XX_WHITE” makes the screen black.
  • “ST77XX_RED” makes the screen yellow.
  • “ST77XX_YELLOW” makes the screen red.
  • “ST77XX_GREEN” makes the screen magenta.
  • “ST77XX_CYAN” makes the screen blue.
  • “ST77XX_BLUE” makes the screen cyan.
  • “ST77XX_MAGENTA” makes the screen green.

“ST77XX_ORANGE” actually makes the screen orange, though.

Also, here’s what lorem ipsum looks like with their testdrawtext() function:

Sorry for the poor quality photo; IRL, the text is very crisp. However, it is slightly cut off on the opposite side of the screen that the rainbow static is appearing. Also, the colors are still incorrect.

I have next to no Arduino skills. I tinkered with it briefly years ago now. Then kind of put them aside.
Posting on the Adafruit Forum may help you sort it out fast. Pimoroni sell Adafruit products and vis versa. I’m a member there and use the same username there, that I use here.