Hyperpixel 2.1 Display issues on older RasPis

I’m attempting to set up a Hyperpixel 2.1 with a Raspberry Pi Zero V1.1w, I’ve followed the guides on both setting up the display and the touch drivers, including using the pygame error fix shown on the touch driver github.

When using the RasPi4, example apps display correctly, however on my Pi3b+ and the intended Zero 1.1w, apps are drawn off centre and incorrectly (Pi3b+ pictured, same on the Zero). I’m using the version of Buster provided on the product page to avoid the issues with Bullseye.

Does anyone have any insight as to how to fix this? I was under the impression the Pi4 was the less stable option for HyperPixel displays at the moment.

Try updating to a newer version of Pygame!

Thanks a lot, that fixed it completely!

1 Like

I have the same problem. Default clock.py script has that same problem. updated Pygame with pip3 install pygame --upgrade and now it shows pygame 2.5.2 installed. But the problem persists.
I wouldn’t really care about it, except if use pygame to draw a circle it crops the display so a circle with diameter 240, centre 0,0 shows 4 arcs. I cannot get full use of the display. I used the clock.py command to init the screen;
pygame.display.set_mode((640,480), pygame.FULLSCREEN | pygame.NOFRAME) and it still crops the circle.
None of the demo apps work properly actually. Something else need updating?

I have just noticed, that although I have upgrade pygame, that when I run the clock.py app the pygame reports as 1.9.4

Rebooted the rPi Zero W to see if the new pygame takes effect and I still get the 1.9.4 message.

That will be because when you run it via sudo, it runs under root (so probably picking up the system-installed version of pygame), and your pip3 install pygame --upgrade has just upgraded your local (user specific) python library.

Welcome to dependency hell; the lazy way out is to sudo pip3 install pygame --upgrade, which feels dirty but should work.

Thank you so much, such a small thing and that got the clock.py working inside Buster. In fact it seems all demo’s work.
Tried to get it to run with Bullseye OS and no good that way as I was assuming days until a reply here. So I thank you again as that worked and I can get on with the good stuff now.