HyperPixel with Raspberry Pi OS Lite?

I’m working on some projects using a Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W and a touchscreen.

Because the device is only going to run a single pygame app, I’d really like to configure it to run in kiosk mode - i.e., Raspberry Pi OS Lite without any kind of X11 environment. I have gotten this configuration working with the official Raspberry Pi 7" touchscreen and a Raspberry Pi 3/4, but I’d like to use a similar environment with a Zero 2 W and a smaller touchscreen. I’ve tried a variety of Waveshare screens and have completely given up - their driver support is terrible and I cannot find any configuration of pygame / SDL2 that works with fbcon, directfb, etc.

Hence my questions: Does the Hyperpixel work in Raspberry Pi OS Lite without X11? Anything I need to know to make this work? Thanks in advance.

I managed to make it work but it is already some time and I cannot find the specific code I used (it was a Pi Zero 2W together with the 2.1 round HyperPixel).

You can find some information on running pygame without X11 here: GitHub - bablokb/pygame-fbgui: A GUI-Toolkit based on pygame targeted at small framebuffer-displays. Some of the information is not relevant for HyperPixels, since they already have their own touch-driver. But you will find some examples of starting a pygame-program from a systemd-service automatically, so you have your app up and running without anything else attached to your system.

1 Like