Install problems ZeroW

Please help! Trying to install unicorn hat for mood light and airdac for pirate radio (separately) - failures for both! I have new distros of stretch lite (March 13 release) on new micro sd cards, 16 or 32 gb. WiFi is working - google ping is responding in th 50ms range with a few spikes to 120ms, about every 10 sec.

I’m using curl get.pimoroni.com/unicornhat | bash. Sometimes I get nothing downloading. Sometimes I get the full download but then get hung up with “updating apt indexes”.

Is there anything else I can try? Or just keep doing same and hope for a break in internet traffic? Why does the process keep hanging up?

Newbie pi user here… frustrated with my new toys LOL

Thank you!

What happens if you run: “sudo apt update” on its own? How long does it take?

after 15 minutes and one connection timeout that it spontaneously recovered from, I saw some action. But here is the message:

Hash sum mismatch
Hashes of expected file (file size 11656328 followed by 3 lines of letters and numbers, SHA256… then SHA1… then MD5Sum
Hashes of received file (file size 110590 and same 3 lines with different alphanumeric.
Reading package lists… Done
E: the repository ‘http://archive.raspberrypi.org/Debian stretch Release’ does no longer have a release file
N: updating from such a repository can’t be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default
N: see apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details

This is a - possibly transient, but it’s hard to tell - network problem either with WiFi communication or your internet. You might be able to get it working by running (and be careful typing this):

sudo rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/partial
sudo apt update

If you have an ethernet cable you can plug into it to do a full update, it might help also.