NVMe base not working with Feb 16th firmware

…I think. I can’t get my base to work after following all the instructions and tips I could find. The one thing that is unique is the latest firmware getting pulled down right now is from February 16th (2024) and all other references to firmware I’ve seen were using a release from January.

Regardless, I’m out of ideas. My device just doesn’t enumerate. I guess it’s defective?

What SSD are you using, what PSU, and have you double checked your ribbon cable?

I’m using the 256GB Patriot Pimoroni shipped with the base board. The PSU is a 50W MeanWell supply as this is going onto a DIN rail. Yeah, I took it all apart and reseated the ribbon cable on both ends. No luck.

What’s the full version number on that Patriot? The second segment will either begin PE000... or 9SE000... and so far the (very limited, admittedly) pool of data here suggests the 9SE000... series do not like the base.

Version Number: P300P256GM28 9SE00083

I just tried a Samsung SSD 980/500Gb and it did not work either. The board or ribbon cable must be defective.

Possibly; I’d need more details on the Samsung to see if there’s any pattern there.

There’s definitely a strong pattern with the Patriot 9SE00… series not working though, so I’d email support if Pimoroni supplied it (and @hel , is it worth adding this firmware variant to the “does not work” list and not include it in bundles? :-) )

@isr_handler Drop us a few photos of your setup to support@pimoroni.com if you haven’t already (with
the label on the drive peeled back so we can see the components) and we’ll sort you out with some replacement bits :)

The most recent version of Pi 5 firmware should work fine, it’s what’s running on my NVMes.

@ahnlak We have seen some Patriot drives with controller chips that don’t yet play well with Raspberry Pi, though I don’t think we’ve yet been able to pin that down to a particular range of serial numbers. From what we’ve seen these drives use quite a range of different controllers, PCBs and flash chips…

The anecdata from here pretty strongly indicates the 9SE000… series doesn’t play nice (i.e. I’ve never seen anyone say they have one that works), but I’ve never been able to track down any documentation mapping those codes to the controller chips.

I have read articles that there are two main ‘variants’, one of which uses HMB - however, as I’ve not been able to even re-discover that article, let alone distinguish which variant does which, it’s hard to know if that’s significant or not :-)

(although further digging suggests that maybe they all use HMB, but one of the controllers would support DRAM if there was any on board? shrug)

1 Like

Well, I’ve tried a different Pi and a different SSD so the problem has to be with the base board. Any diagnostics you can recommend to see if the drive is getting power at least?