First off thank you for the info in this forum it’s incredibly useful! The support is amazing and as such I’m hoping someone can chime in here as I’m at a bit of a loss now.
TLDR: Cannot get my NVME base to see the nvme drive in Raspberry Pi os 64 (lite or full)
Originally got a unit a week or so ago - worked for about an hour and then disappeared. Literally rebooted and could not see the drive again in the OS (the drive that came with it - an ADATA drive).
I’ve tried countless approaches to resolving this including:
- A new drive - purchased a Samsung 980 to no avail - still no dice
- Tried all the config options in /boot/firmware/config.text - each an every one. To a point I wasn’t convinced they were being read then enabled PCIe 3 and sure enough it says that but still fails
- Bootloader is up to date (on both lite and full)
- Tried rpi-update to get the LATEST boot loader but no luck
- Added PCI_PROBE into my repi-eep-rom config but no luck
- reseated the cable / drives countless times thinking it’s user error
Each and every time I get pcie link is down when I either dmesg or use journal to debug what’s going on. The link is never up.
Now for the fun bit - I bought another base and having the exact same issues with that one. Same as above - I wanted to rule it out being hardware (either the base or the cable) and seemed to have done the opposite and kind of ruled the base out of being the problem!
Setup is a standard RPI 5 with the heatsink/fan on (official one) and official power supply (5/5)
Interestingly (or not) but I’ve noticed even when I do a clean SD install I’ve noticed in the journal it says link it down and that’s even before I’ve tried to enable it… I might be going slightly mad here but I’m sure that didn’t even appear in the logs until it was in the config but now it appears on a completely clean install. Not sure if this is a false steer or not but thought I’d mention it.
I’m very tempted to get another pi now thinking that’s the only last logical piece that could be wrong.
It’s frustrating as I’ve seen it work for a bit then disappeared for good. I’m certainly not blaming Pimoroni or the hardware here - on the contrary I think it’s something else. Just hoping this wonderful hive mind has some ideas I haven’t thought of yet. Starting to scrape the barrel on those now…
Anyways thanks in advance for any advice here.