pHatBeat: When connecting to airplay the Pi reboots

Hi, I have just installed my pHatBeat and it is working.

I ran the script for setting it up as an Airplay receiver, and that works too.

It said in the instructions that there would be a ‘pop’ when connecting Airplay, which there is.

My problem is that the Pi reboots when the ‘pop’ happens. It only does this if I’m in XWindows, if the computer is at the command line before I manually start windows, it doesn’t reboot.

I don’t know if this is related, but by default the sound is very loud.

If I connect Airplay while in the command line, then go into windows, everything works, and I can stop and start tracks without a problem.

I’m guessing this is an issue about power? I’m using a Pi3 with the official Raspberry Pi power supply, and an updated Jessie. The speakers are two bookshelf speakers from an old Sony mini HiFi system.

I’d be grateful for any advice on how to fix the problem. This is my main computer, so most of the time I do need it in the GUI environment.

Many thanks

Have you tried firing it up without the speakers attached? I’d guess their impedance is too low and pHAT BEAT is pulling far too much current when it pops them from idle to midrail.

I tried putting a 6 Ohm resistor in series with the speakers, and that has solved the problem - thank you!