Pi5 NVMe Base not working reliably

You never know the internals of these disks. Another controller, another firmware version…

@ismar.slomic From the results I can see on pibenchmarks.com, no-one has run the 250GB on the RPi 5 yet, but that isn’t definitive at all. Unless there is something majorly different with the board compared to the larger capacities, I’d expect it to work. The other capacities show up in benchmarks.
Search Results - SSD980PRO250GB - pibenchmarks.com
Brand: Samsung 980 Pro - pibenchmarks.com

I’m glad the 970 is working for you, as we’ve seen some intermittent results (including in this thread) :-)

The list of tested and compatible drives I was referring to is on the NVMe Base product page: NVMe Base for Raspberry Pi 5 - NVMe Base

It does not explicitly specify disk size for each disk model in the list, neither mention in the description that disk sizes for same model can have different compatabilities.

When I purchased 980 Pro 250GB I where aware of that I picked other size than what was benchmarked, and that it might lead to issues. Therefor, when I replaced it, I went to buy exactly same size as benchmarked and it works.

My point here is that description in the product page should clarify this to the users. Nothing more. Im not complaining, but just trying to share my point of view as the customer and supporter of the great stuff Pimoroni is building!

Not a problem, the page has been updated based on your experience :-)

I’d love to see if the 250GB drive uses a different setup to the larger sizes, as that would seem like an easy explanation for the different result, even though sometimes the same drive seems to work for some and not for others. The flash memory market is a strange and weird place.

1 Like

I still got one brand new Samsung 980 Pro 250GB disk at home. If you would like me to help out doing some analysis and test, I would be happy to!

I guess I would need an external docking station for NVMe M.2, which I could connect to my Mac?

The spec sheets tend to suggest that the only difference is that the 250GB drive has a smaller cache, but that doesn’t seem very likely to be the cause!

As far as i can see, the Pi5 only takes 5v power input from the usb, so having a 200 watt usb supply won’t mean anything.

Look carefully at the miniscule writing on the adapter and see whether it can supply 5a at 5v or not. If not, get a different adapter that can.

I got a Patriot Memory P310 240GB to work on my rpi5. However, there’s a catch. It doesn’t always start up. Sometimes it starts up just fine and runs with no problems, but sometimes it won’t. I get messages that say it can’t read certain blocks and it won’t boot.

The weird part is that if I plug in the USB SSD drive I was using, I have no problem booting up and mounting the NVMe drive and the USB drive. The NVMe drive is the main drive with the SSD drive being additional storage. I don’t know what to make of this, but perhaps it’s a piece of the puzzle of what’s going on with our drives.

Sorry to necro this thread, but I’d like to know if @bobtrex is still doing okay with the Samsung 970 Evo Plus on the Pi5.

I have a 970 still in the box that I was going to use on a Pi4 but never got the Pi4. I’d like to use it on the Pi5. My PS is a CanaKit rated at 45 W.