Picade Controller Bindings for RetroPie Using Latest Firmware

No problem. No additional hardware is needed, it’s all done over SSH. You can read more about how to make the changes on the firmware post linked a few posts earlier.

1 Like

Cheers G30FF, I will be giving it a go when I get home from work!

I will stick to the basic firmware initially but hopefully will be able to edit it more once I get a little more confident.

I like the fact you can have an additional controller for games consoles that require more buttons!

G30FF, if you have time could you possibly guide me through the commands I need to use to send the serial config you included in your first post?

I have updated the firmware to v2.3 (picade.hex) and as I don’t currently have any additional controllers I think that config would be ideal for MAME use.

EDIT: Does this look correct once connected to the Pi3 via SSH?

import serial
picade = serial.Serial(‘/dev/ttyACM0’,9600,timeout=1.0)
picade.write(“a 220 221 222 223 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 176 177 250 251 105 111 112”)
print(picade.readline().strip())

Honestly, my instructions would differ from yours, since I just did mine completely over SSH without using Python. Not exactly the best way to do it, but it worked for me. To do that, I opened a screen session using:

screen /dev/ttyACM0 9600

Then I pasted the following into the session:

a 220 221 222 223 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 176 177 250 251 105 111 112 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Then press “s” to save, then press Ctrl+a, then “:”, then type “quit” to exit the screen session.

Thanks,

Can I just confirm your Picade PCB is only connected to the Pi via the USB lead throughout the process?

I am connecting to the Pi via a Wi-Fi connection from my Mac (ssh pi@retropie.local) and then just sending the commands from there.

That’s correct. The Picade PCB is only connected via the USB.

1 Like

Just to sum this whole thing up for me:

I finally set the pcb into Gamepad-Mode using the serial Monitor in the Arduino IDE. Then I configured the controls in Emulation Station. After that things went wrong. lr-mame2003 didn´t recognize any buttons, whereas Emulation Stations UI did work flawlessly. I tried several things, setting the driver to udev, sdl, sdl2 and whatnot, editing ArduinoLLCArduinoLeonardo.cfg as stated in the original post, trying this in retropie 3.8 and 4.1 and so on.

I didn´t get it to work, so I switched back to keyboard mode. After that I did try to map the keys of Defender and MK using mames tab-menu (did connect an extra keyboard for that) and not the RGUI of retroarch. This did work perfectly, I finally have working and playable configurations for all my critical games using more than two buttons :-). Conclusion for me: retroarchs per game remappings don´t seem to work, mames built-in menu is key to success. One last question: does anyone know where the keymappings I generate with the tab-menu are stored? I searched around the /opt folder but couldn´t find any clues.

Happy Retro Gaming …

Check in ~/RetroPie/roms/mame-libretro/mame2003. Or check ~/RetroPie/roms/arcade/mame2003 if you put your games there instead.

Found them, thanks you.