Pimironi Base Duo ... now what?

So… I’ve followed what directions I can find for the pimironi base duo. The A and B lights are lit when booted. What I don’t know is where the nvme disk is supposed to show up. I’ve got the firmware to the may 17th one. I’ve rebooted a few times. I see it probing the PCIe stuff, but I’m not sure what to look for.

Here’s my dmesg:

https://termbin.com/90hd

The drives are a 2280 samsung 970 evo 2T and the 2230 from a steam deck oled 1T.

Have you found our Learn guide? Getting Started with NVMe Base Duo

Entering lsblk in a terminal should show you a list of what drives you have connected. If you want to install an OS, they should show up in the destination list in RPi Imager, or if you want to use them as storage you’ll probably need to mount them somewhere:

thank-you on that one. I had not found that yet. Your resellers should get on linking these things.

Now… lsblk (I’m a FreeBSD, not a linux guy. So… lsblk is sad-face-emoji:

root@dungeonmaster:/home/dgilbert# lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
mmcblk0 179:0 0 29.7G 0 disk
├─mmcblk0p1 179:1 0 512M 0 part /boot/firmware
└─mmcblk0p2 179:2 0 29.2G 0 part /

… so it’s not showing up. But both white lights come on during their part of the bootup and the pcie switch is detected.

Soooo… while I was waiting for a reply, I reseated both ends of the cable and rebooted. lsblk is still as above. Note from above: https://termbin.com/90hd is still the dmesg output.

I still can’t find the NVMe. Help?

Hmm, are you using Raspberry Pi OS, or another OS? (and are you using the official PSU?)

I’d probably try the drives one at a time to see if I could narrow down on where the problem lies - looks like Samsung 970 Evo is down as a ‘maybe’ on our NVMe Base compatibility list with ‘some user reports of problems under heavy load or not showing up on boot’, so it might be this drive that’s not playing nicely with RPi?

RPi os 64 bit. Created it with the rpi app. Official PSU. Tried drives on at a time. I might have some other drives around. Looking.

OK. I fetched a known good WD blue SN550 from my collection. Still nothing showing on the pi.

I would post a link to my dmesg, but I always use t3rmb1n.c0m (translate my hacker speak) and this site won’t allow it. If you can figure it out, it’s ws3s.

Hmm, looks like we’ve found WD Blue drives also to be somewhat problematic - is it ‘known good’ with RPi 5?

It sounds like you’ve tried a bunch of different drives at this point though, so if you’d like us to send you out a new Base to try then drop support a message: Submit a ticket : Pimoroni

Please include a couple of photos of your setup and a link to this thread.

I submitted a ticket some days ago. I’ve had no reply.

Hmm, looks like I dropped you a reply to your ticket on 18 June. I’ll try sending it again - might be worth checking in spam if it doesn’t arrive!