Pimoroni Pico Plus 2

Where can I get an " Intriguing SP/CE connector " connector with cable to use this port on the new board ?

In the Pimoroni release video for Pico 2 Paul said they’ll soon have a cellular board coming out for that connector, so I assume they’ll release the cable at the same time?

1 Like

They must be on there way to Dune for some SP/CE. :P

The New Display Pack 2 has that connector, and the TinyFX has one. I’d say as soon as they release something else that plugs into it via a cable, you’ll see cables as a stand alone purchase as well.
I’m thinking there will end up being an Equivalent to the Breakout Garden for SP/CE.

We do have the cables already, I’ll see if it’s possible to add those :)

There you go: 8 Pin JST-SH Cable (SP/CE) - JST-SH to JST-SH

Hopefully we should have something to plug into the other end in coming weeks :)

1 Like

@hel: what does that SP/CE stand for? I have been looking around the web as it sounds like some sort of standard, but I haven’t found anything. Is this proprietary?

I would have hoped for EYESPI, since this is already widely used by Adafruit and DFRobot (they call it GDI). It is 18-pin FPC, so cables and connectors are easy to source.

It looks to me to be SPI with CE and a backlight control. SPI Display connector connector?
If I’m right I may have to order up A Display Pack 2.8 and Pico 2. =)

Ops, forgot this, look at the bottom.
Pimoroni Pico Plus 2

I’ve just checked and our daft acronym apparently stands for Serial Peripheral / Connector Evolution :D Yep, SPI with some extra pins for backlight and such.

It’s proprietary (well, 8 pin JST-SH) but of course we’re happy for folks to use it in their designs if they want. We should hopefully have some documentation clarifying the pinout etc once compatible addons are released.

EYESPI is great, but anything to do with FFC connectors is rather fiddly in our experience so we tend to avoid using them for connecting small numbers of pins.

I do agree regarding the FFC, JST-SH is much better in this respect. But you are missing a number of important pins: data/command and/or busy. So you cannot connect an SPI display with 4-wire SPI (which is the most common variant in the wild) via SP/CE. Busy is important for e-ink displays. And if you have a touch screen, you might want to have either a second chip-select or maybe I2C.

That is where EYESPI shines: it has CS for display, touch and sd-card and also I2C. And two spare GPIOs. So it would be possible to attach an Inky-Pack via EYESPI, but not via SP/CE.