Problem when using Jessie

I get the following error when I try to run any game.

runcommand.sh /dev/tty no such device or address

I’ve made sure the user pi is in the group tty. I have installed retro pie from scratch on the latest Raspbian image so I am making life a little hard for my self I know. I would prefer to use Jessie. Been googling for the last hour but no joy. :(

many thanks,
Richard.

Use Wheezy - RetroPie does not fully support Jessie yet (We are still testing/finalising it)

“This script is designed for use on the Raspbian Wheezy distribution. It
has some support for Raspbian Jessie / OSMC but requires building from
source - and there may be problems with modules”

Your actual problem looks due to missing /dev/tty

what is the output of

ls -l /dev/tty

Are you running this from the terminal on the RPI. How did you install ? Did you start from the minimal Jessie image or the full image ? Have you customised the set up in any way ?

Hi, I go tit working by editing the script the runs the emulators to make it use /dev/tty0. This works although the permissions are all a bit wrong and so I have to chmod it.

The system does have /dev/tty and the permissions for that is to allow everyone to read and write to it. So why it says it can not find it is a bit of a mystery.

ls -l /dev/tty gives the following
crw-rw-rw- 1 root tty 5, 0 Dec 10 23:52 /dev/tty

It is full package installed by imaging a sdcard. No customisations apart from the RetoPie. I installed it as per the Wiki instructions.

It must be the way you are launching ES or something that there is no tty attached. Are you doing something different from how the script is designed - how are you starting up ES?

I can try and reproduce it, but I have not seen this error when testing on Jessie.

I wouldn’t waste time with this as I now have a work around and I can not remember what I had been doing before I got this error. I can not give you a clear use case to get the error.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. :)