PySerial seems to be required for python libraries. Which version do we need?

I am trying to run the python library examples and I get an error in init.py when it tries to import the serial module. I gather from a pull request on the git site that the PySerial library is required and there is some discussion on what version is required but I did not fully understand it. What version of this library do we need and where can we find it if it’s not the current version?

Thanks,
Mark

the Raspbian repo currently only feature version 0.2.5 if I recall correctly, which is what you need. To install:

sudo apt-get python-serial python3-serial

Thanks, RogueM.

I saw that the project had been updated to work with the latest pyserial and I did a git pull and used the latest pyserial from github. When I try to run the blink-matrix.py I get this error:

File “examples/blink-matrix.py”, line 12, in
c = flotilla.Client()
File “/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.2/site-packages/flotilla/init.py”, line 74, in init
raise AttributeError(“No port specified and none found!”)
AttributeError: No port specified and none found!

I’m afraid I am new to pyserial so I am not sure what this means. Can you help me get past this problem?

Thanks,
Mark

In case it helps I have a Pi 1 model B. When I run uname -a I get:

Linux raspberrypi 3.1.9+ #272 PREEMPT Tue Aug 7 22:51:44 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

What do you mean by using the latest pyserial from github? What is the output of:

pip3-2 list

(look for the pyserial entry)

I tried using apt-get to install pyserial but that package of pyserial was missing the tools modules so it did not work for me. I then installed the latest pyserial by cloning the git repo at https://github.com/pyserial/pyserial.git and then installing manually. That got me the tools modules and it seems to work when I run it on its own. I just installed the pip-3.2 tool to see what it says and here is the output:

pyserial - Python Serial Port Extension
INSTALLED: 3.1a0
LATEST: 3.0.1

When I run the pyserial tools utility function below I can see the two ports which I assume are my two USB ports:

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ python3 -m serial.tools.list_ports
/dev/ttyACM0
/dev/ttyAMA0
2 ports found

I was able to solve my problem. I had forgotten to install the latest flotilla after I did a git pull. So with the latest flotilla as of yesterday I was able to talk to the dock and sensors with pyserial 3.1a0.

One thing I noticed is that the “weather” sensor does not seem to be supported. It is the one labeled barometer/temp. The entry for that sensor is commented out in init.py and I was wondering why. Is there some reason that sensor is not supported or should I just uncomment that line?

the weather module file is complely empty at the moment, several modules are WIP, and the entire API is due for a serious overhaul.