Raspberry Pi 2- What works and what doesn't!

Nope, due to a miraculous stroke of good fortune it now actually works better than it did on the B+. Well actually it works better on the B+ too. The new software is better all 'round.

We’ve had a pixel-shading demo ( crafted by the mad genius of @Jon ) running in the office for about 3 days now, it’s beautifully smooth!

Because the library we’re using to drive the WS2812 LEDs is that much better, I think the redraw speed has about doubled, but I’m pulling that figure from observation and not measurement- so don’t quote me on it!

Hey that makes it twice the value :) Bought!

Is that pixel shading demo in the examples on github?

Yup! Right here:

https://github.com/pimoroni/unicorn-hat/blob/master/python/examples/demo.py

Hey there! New to all this stuff! I managed to get the demos working on my RPi 2 by creating executable files with “sudo nano” and pasting in the Python code… Then run it from the terminal with “sudo /home/pi/demo.py” I assume that’s how it is meant to be done??? I do have one issue?? How do i turn the Unicorn HAT off or stop the script from running so i can try other demos without having to turn the whole Pi off???

Appreciate any help!!

Yes creating an executable file with the code and running it with sudo is the way to go!

You don’t need to run nano with sudo though.

You can usually stop a running script with: Ctrl+C

Unicorn really was a one line install for me with a fresh Raspian on a Pi2 :o)
(and looks so much better in reality than it does in the videos)

I know the munmap and memory leak errors are known issues, I was just wondering if its something that can be fixed?

Hey there! Does your mini wireless keyboard and trackpad work with the pi 2?

Yup! It does. It’s the very one I use in fact. Although It’ll drive you crazy trying to program with it… Still not sure why I do that :D

It’s good for media use though, and losing down the side of the sofa!

Any updates on DFRobot USB 2.8" Display?

Can I only use nitro driver (https://github.com/notro/fbtft/wiki) to get the display working on raspberry pi rev.2?

I’ve not come across the nitro driver. I do know, however, that RoboPeak are working on a new image for the display with Pi 2 compatibility.

I got it up and running beautifully with a cross-compile, but just haven’t had the time to package it into an image :(

I might be able to supply my kernel7.img and modules folder for those brave enough to try them though! They could be used to modify an existing Raspbian ( reversibly if you back up the kernel7.img ) to make the display work.

I’ve written a step by step guide to installing my custom modules and kernel image as an interim solution to the DFRobot display, find it here: DFRobot 2.8 USB TFT Pi 2 Raspbian Setup Guide ( Advanced )

1 Like

It is not nitro driver, but notro driver.
Notro is Noralf Trønnes, the author of the linux framebuffer driver for small tft devices.
His framebuffer driver is now part of the official Linux sources (still in staging).
See https://github.com/notro/fbtft (also mentioned in chaiyawut’s post).
My guess is your kernel is also based/derived from his work.
E.g. all Adafruit small displays use his work.
Hope this clarifies things a bit.

I moved 2 posts to a new topic: Unable to get Display-o-Tron installed

Hi there all, my first post. I spent the whole summer waiting for my VP to bring Unicorn Hats back from the UK (I’m in Vietnam). I just can’t get get it working tho…I’ve followed all the tutorials, updated the Pi, downloaded all the packages etc. One thing, I wasn’t asked to install Unicorn Paint. And when I try and run sudo python ./simple.py nothing happens. Then I came here…and need help!

Solved : I had a dud.

HOWEVER … I can’t run Unicorn Paint?

When I run sudo ./paint.py
I get sudo: ./paint.py: command not found

I have flask already installed…anyone help me??!

Ooh glad you found out why it wasn’t working- sorry I didn’t get to you sooner.

You should find paint.py in the examples folder, I think this will get you there:

cd ~/Pimoroni/unicornhat/unicornpaint