Raspberry pi zero 2w

received my order raspberry pi zero 2 w, when plugged in does not work no light comes on but it gets warm, I have used my raspberry pi 3 power supply so I know that works.
I need to return it for a refund,

What version of PiOS did you put on your SD-card?

I use a Samsung 64 evo card 64 and used motioneyeos-raspberrypi-20200606.img.xz
as I want to make a camera, but there should be an indicator light on the board to show it is powered and there is nothing.

The LED on a Zero / Zero W is an activity light, not a power light - it won’t light up if there’s a problem with the SD card or image.

I don’t think MotionEyeOS has been updated in some time - you’ll probably need to use a new Raspberry Pi OS image and install motion on top of it if you have a Zero 2 W.

You can download Raspberry Pi OS using Raspberry Pi Imager: http://www.raspberrypi.com/software/

The Pi 2 image won’t work on a Zero 2 but there is a custom DEV version that will work. You may have to search the forum for a link though.

I think this is it?
Jawsper has a New build of motionEyeOS available for PiZero2W · Issue #2875 · motioneye-project/motioneyeos (github.com)

1 Like

Something else that can catch you out is a stock MotionEye OS image will look for an Ethernet connection. And if it can’t connect will just endlessly reboot. I drop a wpaconfig.txt file onto mine to get it to connect via WIFI on first boot.

Thanks for your help

No problem, glad to help. I have a half dozen + Motion Eye OS setups here at home. Pi 4B, 3B and 3A’s. Some are Pan Tilt setups. I can’t remember if I ever tried it on a Zero 2W? I know I did try it on a Zero and quickly moved on to something with more computing power. The Zero 2 W is I think, close to a 3A in computing power, so it may be OK. If your just taking stills it should be fine. Streaming and recording video may be a challenge though. You won’t know until you try it and see what kind of frames per second you get.