Skywriter Error

Fresh install got this running test.py :
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/skywriter.py:34: RuntimeWarning: This channel is already in use, continuing anyway. Use GPIO.setwarnings(False) to disable warnings.
GPIO.setup(SW_RESET_PIN, GPIO.OUT, initial=GPIO.HIGH)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “test.py”, line 2, in
import skywriter
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/skywriter.py”, line 488, in
i2c.write_i2c_block_data(SW_ADDR, 0xa1, [0b00000000, 0b00011111, 0b00000000, 0b00011111])
IOError: [Errno 110] Connection timed out
Error in atexit._run_exitfuncs:
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/atexit.py”, line 24, in _run_exitfuncs
func(*targs, **kargs)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/skywriter.py”, line 479, in _exit
stop_poll()
TypeError: ‘NoneType’ object is not callable
Error in sys.exitfunc:
func(*targs, **kargs)
stop_poll()

Any suggestions?

Probably worth trying either:

• Rebooting your Pi

or

• Starting from a clean install of Raspbian Jessie

From the RuntimeWarning it’s difficult to tell if a previous script didn’t clean up properly, or if there’s genuinely something interfering. What OS are you running, and what other add-ons have you used?

Using Raspbian Jessie only usb prior on this project. My goal is to run neopixel array and skywriter.

Thanks

Matthew

I have done 3 separate installs on two different pi’s and still no go.’

I get this error :

File “test.py”, line 2, in
import skywriter
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/skywriter.py”, line 488, in
i2c.write_i2c_block_data(SW_ADDR, 0xa1, [0b00000000, 0b00011111, 0b00000000, 0b00011111])
IOError: [Errno 110] Connection timed out
Error in atexit._run_exitfuncs:
func(*targs, **kargs)
stop_poll()
Error in sys.exitfunc:
func(*targs, **kargs)
stop_poll()

Any help would be much appreciated it. I am close to ditching it.

Did you try with a completely fresh install of the latest version of Raspbian, as @gadgetoid suggested?

Yes, I did fresh install on two different pis. Maybe its my soldering of the pins. Seems like 12c issue possibly. Hoping I can pull it off, this size and interaction is great for a prototype I am building.
Thanks for the reply.

I have to be doing something wrong, I tried on brand new pi3 with fresh install. Or this board I have is fried.

To clarify - have you tried with the HAT attached directly to the Pi GPIO?

… I’m confused because you mention your soldering as the possible issue, but there is no soldering involved if you are using the HAT version of the Skywriter as I understood you confirmed elsewhere?

Anyhow, I guess my comment is more an advice to take your project in steps - even if what you want to do is combine multiple boards, make sure you check the HAT function in a normal environment, with nothing but the Skywriter software installed.

My apologies. Yes I have two pi zeros and one pi3. I soldered the pins on the zeros. One of the pi zeros and the pi3 are my control( ie just hat, new os, & fresh build. ). All produce the same errors. Not sure what I could do to remedy.

ah… makes sense now. I’d say if you get the issue on Pi3 with fresh OS it’s likely the HAT not playing ball.

Did you install the software with the one-line installer or manually running the setup.py? I don’t think it matters as the version of the lib on pip should be the same as in the repo though.

I tried both build methods. I will have to buy a new one to see if its the hat. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

The board turned out to be bad. I got new one and it runs. Is the field strong? Seems hard to trigger gestures.

What type of gesture are you using? I’ve had quite good success with flicks, can’t say I have tried much else that mostly involved x and y.