What are the differences in the Pico W UF2's?

On the site for RPI UF2’s, there are a number of different UF2’s for, what appear to be the PICO W. How do I decide which one to use? Are they described somewhere? Thanks

pimoroni-picow-v1.19.12-micropython.uf2
pimoroni-picow_enviro-v1.19.12-micropython.uf2
pimoroni-picow_galactic_unicorn-v1.19.12-micropython.uf2
pimoroni-picow_inky_frame-v1.19.12-micropython.uf2

The pimoroni-picow-v1.19.12-micropython.uf2 is for use with a stock Pico W. One that you plan on adding Pimoroni breakouts too, etc. It has the various custom Pimoroni Micro Python libraries added to it. Pico Graphics, Pimoroni i2c etc.
The rest are each custom builds for each of Pimoroni’s custom “Pico W Onboard” products. They have custom configs for the buttons etc loaded in.

Thanks. Pimoroni may want to put more documentation description on the UF2 reference page rather than just pointing to it.

What product page are you looking at? I try and specify what .uf2 to use one recent ones, but we could maybe do with adding some more guidance to some of the older ones - there was only one .uf2 in the early days :)

(There’s also some guidance for which uf2 to use here - pimoroni-pico/setting-up-micropython.md at main · pimoroni/pimoroni-pico · GitHub , I think there’s a few new ones since then though so the list is probably due an update!)

I think he may have gone here?
Release v1.19.12 · pimoroni/pimoroni-pico (github.com)

@hel, I’d found that page but all it says for PICO W is to load “pimoroni-picow” which is the prefix for all those I listed on my initial posting.

Thanks - I’ll see if I can make this page more helpful/specific.

1 Like

Just to put things in a bit of perspective.

The 2MB of on-board QSPI flash makes things interesting when trying to make a “it just works” uf2 file. It sounds like a lot of space, but can get used up pretty quickly if your trying to cover a wide range of Pico extras / addons.
Then add into that the Pico, Pico W or custom RP2040 options.

All of the above is just one reason this forum is here. =)