Soldering a broken pHAT?

Hello!

I recently got my first Pi Zero W with BlinkT. I managed to solder on the GPIO header for the Pi but in attaching the Blinkt and then realising it was upside down I managed to pull loose some of the contacts on the blinkt. How hard is it to solder them back to the PCB again? I have very basic soldering skills.

If you give us a pic of blinkt it would be helpful. It could be a pin not necessary to the functioning of the device in which case leaving it will be fine.

Extra Information: I think the pin is necessary because the blinkt doesn’t always respond except when I apply some pressure.

So my method for fixing this would be to push the pin down with the tip of the soldering iron and let it heat up before bringing in solder to secure it in place and repeat for every pin

Hi

Depending how many pins have been soldered this might be tricky. It might be worth removing the solder first using a solder sucker then pushing the whole connector through before resoldering again this depends on how many pins have been soldered.

Cheers

Paul

Just to be clear, it’s the PCB of the Blinkt that has come loose from the header that attaches it to the GPIO on the Pi.

Hi

Can you post a photo? If you mean what I think you mean then there is little you can do.

Cheers

Paul

Paul I think the blinkt smd header has become become dislodged on a few pins which should’nt be to hard to fix as I refer to in my earlier post

It really depends whether you’ve actually ripped the pads and traces off. If you have, then it may be beyond repair. A close-up photo would help to diagnose the problem.

Hi

That was my thought too hence my request for a photo earlier :-)

Cheers

Paul

Picture coming up :-) I don’t think it’s too serious but IANAES ( I am not an experienced solderer)

Here’s a picture. So I think I should be okay with a drop of solder.

Hi

Not sure how you will get a soldering iron in there without damaging the connector unless the pins come out of the side, then you should be ok.

Cheers

Paul

If you carefully take the blinkt of the pi header my earlier instructions should work.

Hi

I’m not convinced that would work without damaging the header housing but at this point there is nothing to loose by trying it.

Cheers

Paul

I would suggest dismantling the Pibow and taking the Pi and Blinkt! out, if possible, and then just something flat like a spudger or a butter knife to pry the header off the pins, so as to prevent any further damage to the solder pads. Once you’ve done that, have a go at re-soldering the header.