Breakout Garden I2C installs where

This is a very simple but highly stupid maker question.
Where does the Breakout Garden Install software puts the different breakout board software. On Windows I can do a search to find the programs in the file manager but in PI OS I have not been able to find the python files for the breaskouts,

I have BME680 and RV3080 in the Breakout Garden Mini , and installed the programs but just can not find them to run.

Then I will be able to start the project programing.

Bit oif a Newby to PI OS

Usually its in the Home folder, look for a Pimoroni folder. In some instances you won’t get any folders, not the ones with the examples etc. It kind of depends on whether it does a curl bash or just uses pip. I wish it was more consistent, it seems to depend on who did up the install instructions.

The examples for the BME680 can be found here.
bme680-python/examples at master · pimoroni/bme680-python · GitHub
And for the RV3028 its
rv3028-python/examples at master · pimoroni/rv3028-python · GitHub

The “Breakout Garden” install program whichj said it had installed the two packages and I could not find the progams at all.

It appears that the proggram only downloads the files and depencies and did not install the full program.

Just done single install both install scripes said the depences had been installed and then completed the install of the programs for the boards. These whre in the home folde.

THanks for the help

I have some Breakout Garden Mini’s here. I do the manual installs for each breakout. One reason is the breakout garden installer only installs for i2c breakouts, it can’t detect SPI so I have to do those separately anyway. The other reason is as you stated above, no examples folder to test your breakout. It’s been so long since I ran the Breakout Garden installer that I just couldn’t remember what it did and didn’t download.
Anyway, now you get to tinker with your tech.

This is what I do to setup my RV3028 RTC

Enable i2c via raspberry Pi Configuration

sudo pip install rv3028

or

git clone https://github.com/pimoroni/rv3028-python`
cd rv3028-python
sudo ./install.sh

Run set-time.py and then get-time.py from examples folder.
This enables the backup battery.

Then open a terminal window and run

sudo i2cdetect -y 1

The RV3028 shows up as 52

Then edit the config.txt
sudo nano /boot/config.txt
and add

dtoverlay=i2c-rtc,rv3028

ctrl x, y, enter
sudo reboot

Then open the terminal window and run
sudo i2cdetect -y 1
The 52 is now UU which means its under system control

Next disable the “fake hwclock” which interferes with the “real” hwclock

sudo apt-get -y remove fake-hwclock
sudo update-rc.d -f fake-hwclock remove
sudo systemctl disable fake-hwclock

Now with the fake-hw clock off, you can start the original ‘hardware clock’ script.

sudo nano /lib/udev/hwclock-set
and comment out these three lines:

if [ -e /run/systemd/system ] ; then
exit 0
fi

Also comment out the two lines

/sbin/hwclock --rtc=$dev --systz --badyear
/sbin/hwclock --rtc=$dev --systz

ctrl x, y, enter

Sync time from Pi to RTC

sudo hwclock -w
sudo hwclock -r

sudo reboot

Thank you very much for the setup of the RTC have not set up the clock. been setting up BME680’s.

I’m numbering, labeling items and copying SD cards for 5 quick sensors units on Pi Zero’s, one in each room of the house.

Then I’ve got to setup the OpenHab (MQTT) set up and write the python to send data to it.

Be aware that once you do the dtoverlay=i2c-rtc,rv3028 entry in config.txt, you will get an error when running the get-time or set-time examples. That’s why you run those first thing after installing the software and before doing that edit.
Remark it out #dtoverlay=i2c-rtc,rv3028 and reboot, and they will work again.
Just fyi post as it can catch you out and leave you scratching your head as to what’s going on.

I have a couple of setups here with BME680’s in them, and a bunch with BME280’s in them. Nothing remotely saved to any database though. Everything is displayed on that Pi. Some are running my own custom code and some are running modified Pimoroni Enviro / Enviro+ code. A few of them started out being mocked up in a Breakout Garden and then permanently soldered to a Proto Board.