Breakout garden in Arduino

Hi I just came across the Breakout garden system, it seems really solid.

Does anyone know of people using them with Arduino/ESP32? Anyone got links (Google hadn’t helped so far)

Some of the breakouts wouldn’t work I think, but a decent number of them seem to have Arduino Libraries.

If it’s not a ridiculous idea, what are the physical dimensions of the 5x and 7x sockets please?

I’m using mine with Raspberry Pi’s and Pi PICO. I bought some of the Breakout Garden extenders. I can plug those into a solderless breadboard and plug the breakout into the socket and not have to solder anything. Along those lines I could use them with an Arduino or MicroBit etc. I don’t mind soldering but its nice to not have to, especially if I’m just proto typing something.
So far its been Python, Micro Python, or Circuit Python. I have Zero C skills so I haven’t gone down that road just yet. You can likely find Arduino libraries for some of them at Adafruit. They have a lot of similar offerings using the same sensor / chip. Very similar LCD’s too.
SPI Breakout Garden Extender Kit (3 pairs) – Pimoroni
I2C Breakout Garden Extender Kit (3 pairs) – Pimoroni

Thanks, that’s helpful.

I’m considering building a breakout garden socket into an ESP32 PCB, could anyone tell me the physical dimensions of the 5p/7p, please?

Do you have trouble getting breakouts to be recognized on your breakout garden? I just got mine, but only half of the modules were detectable by my raspberry pi. Furthermore, I could only get one driver installed with the software they provided.

No issues for me. I don’t use the Breakout Garden installer utility. I install each breakout manually one by one. The utility can’t detect SPI breakouts, and doesn’t work with one or two i2c breakouts. It can simplify things and install several breakouts in one go, I just chose not to use it. I like doing each one one by one.

2 Likes

Could either of you measure the dimensions of the 5pin breakout garden socket for me, please?

SPI ports are 1 inch by 1/4 inch. I2C ports are 3/4 inches by 1/4 inch. Seems to be manufactured in inches rather than mm.

I got most of the drivers installed individually now like you reccomended. That seemed to work. I still don’t know what to do from here… I don’t know how to get the actual video from this thermal camera breakout I got along with the set. Do all these breakouts need some sort of master python app that they all channel data through?

I use Python with mine. I start with the examples that are on github and go from there.
All the i2c breakouts use the same pins on the Pi. You can have multiple devices on i2c as long as no two devices have the same address.
Running sudo i2c detect -y 1 from terminal will show you what’s on the bus.
I2C at Raspberry Pi GPIO Pinout
The SPI breakouts use SPI. Each device uses a different chip select. The Hat uses SPI0, CE0 and CE1. CE1 is “I think” the front slot.
SPI at Raspberry Pi GPIO Pinout

If your camera is this one,
MLX90640 Thermal Camera Breakout – Pimoroni
It’s a custom manual install and it looks like the only code examples are in C.
pimoroni/mlx90640-library: Python library for the MLX90640 thermal camera (github.com)

1 Like