Display-O-Tron HAT got installed for python2

I got this lcd display for my term project. Looks really functional and does what it’s needed for the project :)

So, I tried it out today, and installed the libraries as told. The script actually runs and succesfully does the job, but I realized that the library is for python2 and not for python3. Or at least when I try to run it on python3 it isn’t able to find the libraries while python2 is able to find them. The whole project is run on python3, so I need to find a way to make it work in python3.

So, is there a way to make it work in python3?

How did you install the software? It should automatically install both versions.

Try running pip3 install dot3k in Bash.

I installed the software by running the curl command given by the devs:

curl -sS https://get.pimoroni.com/displayotron | bash

Btw, the command you have given is for dot3k, I assume it wouldn’t work for dothat, right?
I tried running pip3 install dothat which didn’t work at all.

Yes, if I remember right Display-O-Tron HAT and Display-O-Tron 3000 were very similar and share a lot of code, so they’re actually the same Python module. The Github page says it is for both.

I tried to use dot3k library after seeing your message. It does some things but doesn’t really fully work. For example, backlight works for only half the screen.

But anyways, I resolved the issue by using os.system() command and running another script using python 2(with arguments so that I know what to write in the second script) when needed. Thank you for your help.

That’s an odd issue, but I’m glad you got it sorted.

mine does the same thing,so i guess maybe its normal

Checking through the install script there is definitely boilerplate code for checking if Python3 needs installed, but maybe it’s not actually installing both for some reason? You could always raise it on the Github page and see if Phil has time to fix that.