So, one of the few benefits of Coronavirus is that I finally have time to get around to sorting out all the things that got filled under “more or less works, will finalise it later” :-)
One such issue is my Kickstarter vintage Maxi Picade, in general, it works…apart from the sound…which also “generally works”. However, there’s a constant hiss/hum/static. I’ve tried all the usual tricks:
- Move speaker cables away from everything
- Shielded audio cable
- Take the audio from HDMI, not direct from Pi
- audio dither option & max_usb_current=1 in the config.txt
- played with the ALSA mixer
All that makes diddly squat difference. So today, it got serious (by my tame standards) :
- I disconnect everything from the picade board;
- Removed it from the cabinet;
- Connected the psu and one speaker… - same issue, hissing;
- tried the other speak - same issue…hissing;
- swapped the cables around…hissing.
I’m coming to the conclusion the board has some hardware issue, looking at the photos - is there anything obvious I can do? Some dodgy-looking connections?