I flashed my Tufty 2350 with the new V3.0.2 uf2. I then went into disk mode and copied my App to it. Then tried to eject it and got the following error message.
My memory isn’t what it used to be, but I don’t recall having this error before. At least not in a reocuring persistant state like it is at the moment.
If I’m editing code on my Tufty via Thonny, I normally edit a file saved on my PC / Pi 5. I can save to it without getting any error. Then when I’m all done coding, I put the Tufty in Disk Mode and copy the edited file over to it. And then eject it. That procedure now gets me both the An operation is pending when I plug it in, and the Failed to eject error message on ejection. The An operation is already pending message won’t go away unless I clik the OK. The Failed to eject will disappear on it’s own after a short time.
Also, now when I plug in a USB Thumb Drive, I get the An operation is pending error message that won’t go away unless I click it’s OK button. Ejecting it is fine though.
I am not sure what OS are you using: PC/Pi5? Windows/Linux? From the output, I assume the latter.
I would try the following assuming you are running a Pi5:
put the Tufty into disk mode
make sure it is not automounted. If so, run sudo umount /media/.... (wherever it is mounted). It seems that on your system the device is /dev/sda, so you should run mount | grep /dev/sda to find out
run sudo fsck.vfat -a /dev/sda
The last command should check the filesystem on the Tufty and repair it if necessary.
Edit: It could be that the Tufty “disk” is actually /dev/sda1, so you might have to adapt the last command. What could also help is a reboot of your Pi5. But I silently assumed you already did that.
It’s a Pi 5 that I’m connecting and coding it on. Right now it won’t let me save anything to the main directory where the main.py file is? I can rename it, but doing a copy and past on my custom main.py does nothing? It never shows up as being copied into the folder when in disk mode? And trying to do it in Thonny just throws up an error message.
I’m just now thinking of going back to version 2 uf2. If I can figure out your commands (I’m a Linux noob) I’ll give that a shot first.
What ever is going on is in Pi OS. Something got glitched in the OS, it appears anyway? It doesn’t matter what I plug in to the USB ports, if it mounts as a storage drive, I get that error.
I just flashed it with V2.0.2 and that error is still there. I haven’t tried to copy any files over just yet, but will momentarily. I need another cup of java first. =(
File copying to the base directly now works. I am now running my App as the main app instead of the built in App Menu on boot up.
It’s back to the way it was before I flashed it too V3.0.2. Except I’m still getting the An operation.... message.
So how do i get it to actually do this pending operation?
Ok, doing a sudo shutdown now from the terminal seems to have fixed it? For now anyway, time will tell, but I put it in disk mode and ejected it a couple of times an no An operation is pending error message?
What I read: this can happen if there is an OS update in the background, which is activated by default on PiOS. The reason it does not reboot itself is because this is usually not necessary. The only exception is if the update pulls in a new kernel.
I usually deactivate automatic updates, because I want to have full control. And when I update, I usually reboot anyway. It is so fast, it does not matter.
I have shut down and or rebooted several times while trying to sort this out. And done some updates along the way. I usually close everything out, then do the updates, then shutdown for the night.
The operation pending happened some time after I copied the files for my App over to the Tufty. I think when I had to edit a line in my file to make it work with V3. Maybe I did something out of sequence? Anyway, what ever it was its done and gone for now. I’m going to wait a bit and then have another go at the V3 uf2 for the Tufty.