Flashing TMK firmware onto SparkFun Qwiic Pro Micro - USB-C

Hello, I’ve bought a SparkFun Qwiic Pro Micro - USB-C which I’ve wired up as required for the TMK ADB to USB keyboard converter. However, I can’t figure out how to load the TMK firmware to test it out. I know the Pro Micro is working, because the Arduino IDE can see it and upload code to it which runs (e.g. I can make the RX and TX lights flash). I can get the Pro Micro into DFU mode by double-tapping the reset button, and have confirmed this is working by using the Arduino Serial Monitor. However, when I put the Pro Micro in DFU mode and try to erase the memory contents so I can upload a TMK .hex file using dfu-programmer, I get the following error (immediately):

1005 ~ » dfu-programmer atmega32u4 erase --force
dfu-programmer: no device present.

It appears that dfu-programmer doesn’t know where to find the device, because it’s clearly present as seen by the Arduino software, and by the presence of /dev/cu.usbmodem2101 and /dev/tty.usbmodem2101 (and it appears in System Profiler as being attached to the USB bus). Does anyone know how I can instruct dfu-programmer to find the Pro Micro? Or some other way I can erase the memory and flash the TMK firmware? I’m using MacOS 12.3.1. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

In case anyone else has this issue in the future, I got things working…

I found out from another forum that dfu-programmer was unlikely to work with the Caterina bootloader used by the Pro Micro. But the most recent release of QMK Toolbox also wasn’t recognising my Pro Micro, and it should support it. The Arduino IDE works fine, but I want to be able to easily upload my own binary .hex files, hence trying to get QMK Toolbox working.

In case the issue was somehow related to the ARM-based M1 chip in my current MacBook Pro, I downloaded QMK Toolbox to my 2013 MacBook Air, and it successfully recognised the Pro Micro in DFU mode. 🥳 With the knowledge that my Pro Micro should work with QMK Toolbox, I went back to my M1 MacBook Pro. I tried a few things (removing quarantine xattrs from QMK Toolbox, running it under Rosetta) that didn’t work. Then I thought I’d download the latest beta and see if that somehow had a fix, and… it worked! I’ve had a look through the GitHub issues for QMK Toolbox, and I can’t see anything that specifically addresses the problem I was having, but possibly it is this one: [macOS] Add libhidapi #357.

In any case, the lesson for anyone who is having similar problems getting QMK Toolbox to recognise a Caterina bootloader device like the SparkFun Pro Micro on an M1 Mac running MacOS 12 Monterey: download the latest beta, and it should work.