Galactic Unicorn development

I have Thonny up and running and I’m able to open the default .py files off of the Galactic Unicorn, but when I try to run main.py in Thonny I get an error that says:

ImportError: no module named ‘galactic’

Is there a different way to run the script on the display? Or a way at all to test the code on the display?

Since this file came from the GU I’m assuming it’s ok, and the default demos run when it’s not in bootloader mode.

Edit: My Galactic Unicorn won’t turn on at all now. Even when plugged into a wall outlet. I also noticed that when I plug my GU back into my computer in bootloader mode, I have to reinstall MicroPython to connect to the GU.

Here is what I’m selecting:

I then have to close Thonny and reopen for it to recognize the Raspberry Pi Pico/GU.

The default files, as well as a couple of new ones I added (green boxes), are still there. So that’s promising. The only thing I changed in ‘main.py’ was “PRESS” to “MASH” for the output. No functionality changes.

You don’t need to be in Bootloader Mode. Just plug it in without pressing any buttons. Then in Thonny select View > Files.

Looks like you’re using the vanilla Pico W version of MicroPython there which will be why it can’t find our libraries, you’ll need our custom one for Galactic.

If you’re installing it via Thonny it looks like this:

2 Likes

Ahh! That’s what I missed. Thank you!

1 Like

I’m looking for a small battery and possibly a decibel sensor that will work with my setup. Hopefully something to last 2-3 hours if unplugged.

Any products you’d recommend for that?

Also, I’m wanting to have the device controlled via a web application. What’s the best practice for communicating with the Raspberry Pi/Galactic Unicorn over the web?

It’ll retrieve a chunk of data at first, but really just be listening for any changes while running.

I’d probably use a chunky LiPo battery (or a USB power bank).

Check out this forum thread for discussion of adding a microphone: Adding microphone to Unicorns? (though from what I remember, calculating decibels requires some non-trivial calculations!)

There’s some cool web projects here: pimoroni-pico/micropython/examples/galactic_unicorn at main · pimoroni/pimoroni-pico · GitHub

1 Like

Some web examples here also: pimoroni-pico/micropython/examples/cosmic_unicorn at main · pimoroni/pimoroni-pico · GitHub