Help ive killed 3 Pis

So i have managed to short out 3 PIs, one was my fault for sure (i know they all are) but i am a little unsure what is going on. I may just be lacking the understanding with regards to what i am doing.

Here is what i have setup:

PI4B with a PIM213 automation hat.

I have a positive ADC wire that is used to measure voltage of a battery going into adc1. The associated ground/negative wire for that battery goes to 1 of the 3 ground plugs.

I have a second postive ADC wire that is used to measure voltage of a second battery going to ADC2. The associated ground negative wire is going to the 2nd ground plug.

I then have 2 adafruit surge strips. I have the positive relay wire of the first one in the NO of relay 1, i have the associated ground wire for that relay going to a ground pin on the pi.

I have the second surge strip positive relay wire going into NO of relay 2. The ground for the second surge strip relay goes to the ground of the first since there are only 3 grounds on the hat, i didnt think daisy chaining them would be an issue. But maybe i am wrong.

I have one of the 5v leads of the hat going to the common of the first relay.
I have the second 5v lead of the hat going to the common of the second relay.

If i take one of the pis 5v leads and connect it to ad1 it correctly turns on relay 1 when my code is running.

If i remove that and take the 5v lead and connect it to ad2 the relay trips briefly but it goes back quickly as if there is a short and then bamb the pi is dead. Am i wired wrong or is there maybe somethign wrong with the hat?

to be clear there is no power source on adc1 or adc2 yet, there is no battery connected etc, i am just testing this without the battery by trying to connect the 5v on the PI to the adc inputs. One time i accidently connected the two 5 volt pins, the last time i am 100% sure i didnt. It seems activating adc2 and then the relay causes this issue.

I then have 2 adafruit surge strips.

Do you mean these things?

I’m a little unclear with the setup here, you’re trying to use the relays to control the power strips (I don’t think they’re wired right, but we’ll come back to that) but what are the batteries for? And what type/voltage of battery are they?

It sounds like those power strips have their own internal relays, so I don’t think you need to use one to control them. The product page just says “Universal control voltage 3-60VDC” so a simple digital signal might be all that is needed. I wonder if the relays are somehow generating a ton of electrical noise which is spiking beyond what the Pi likes dealing with.

Basically the purpose of the project is to maintain 2 batteries for my car in storage. Adc1 goes to battery 1 and adc 2 goes to battery 2. I have those surge strips 1 per relay to enable the chargers (one per battery)when required. That being said the batteries aren’t present the car is in storage. I was jumping the 5v to adcs to test the project.
I think the surge strips are wired properly. I have the negative terminal of their relays daisy chained but absent the daisy chain they would just go back to shared ground pins on the pi so I believe that should be fine. I daisy chained them because there is only 3 ground pins but there not isolated so I don’t see why that would be an issue.

I have those surge strips 1 per relay to enable the chargers

That’s my point, you don’t need relays to switch the sockets. Go to the product page in the link in my last post, and watch the video on it. Adafruit demosntrate control of the power strip directly from an Arduino using the digital I/O pins. I don’t think you need the relays and if anything there is screwing up a Pi it will probably be those.

What kind of batteries are you charging?