Help? (Some) Buttons not working


Hello all, I am new here and have just got my first console picade (without screen).
I have set everything up and checked the wiring, when I load recalbox and try to configure the buttons, some do not respond to the touch and do not map. (2 left hand black buttons and one on the front and one on the right side bottom).

Is their a fault with the pcb? Wire loom? Or is it just me not doing something correctly?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you



I just updated my recalbox install to the latest version and have noticed exactly the same issue, so I don’t think it’s necessarily your PCB or wiring loom, it’s probably just something in Recalbox. I haven’t yet had the chance to investigate the issue properly but as soon as I do I’ll post any progress I make, so you can try it for yourself.

In the meantime, you might want to try Lakka or RetroPie, or maybe try version 4.0.0 or 4.0.1 of Recalbox if you can find an SD card image, as they worked fine for me before I updated to 4.1.

Sorry I can’t yet give you a workaround or solution yet but I didn’t want you to think your picade was necessarily faulty, and start pulling it to bits trying to figure out what was wrong…



Okay, so I checked all of my wiring loom, each button etc. to make sure no shorts (can happen if the two spade connectors at the back of the button get pushed together), or broken wires, all seemed okay.

Then I down-graded to version 4.0.1 and then back up to the latest version of Recalbox, and then something - not sure which bit has definitely improved matters as all buttons and the joystick now function correctly (at the moment at least). I don’t think it was entirely the software, as downgrading to version 4.0.1 didn’t immediately fix the issue, it seemed to happen after I’d rebooted the picade a couple of times, so maybe it was a corrupted config file (but it was a fresh install of recalbox, or maybe the arduino-alike on the picade board got a bit confused/didn’t initialise properly and crashed?

Anyhow, deffo worth checking there are no button shorts, or obvious wiring loom issues again, and if there don’t seem to be any, try re-installing recalbox I reckon as I suspect that’s what fixed it for me.

Hope this helps, sorry I can’t be more exact about the cause.


I set up Recalbox recently, but haven’t got as far as testing Picade with it.

If it has trouble with some of the keycodes that the Picade PCB uses, you could update the firmware (of Picade) and try adding your own custom keybindings to see if that helps.

The latest firmware and the updater tool is available here:

You can then experiment with custom bindings, emulating a gamepad, etc.

There’s a guide to accomplishing that here: New 2.x Configurable Keyboard/Gamepad Firmware

I’d try prodding Recalbox, or using RetroPie first, though, since that may be less hassle.