Hyperpixel 3.5, Buster, Pi 4 how?

To check out the Pi4, current Buster (feb 2020) and Hyperpixel 3.5 I did the following:

0 Checked on a Raspberry Pi 3, current Buster, instructions followed and works fine, so hardware is OK

1 imaged a SD with current Buster (feb 2020)
2 booted on a Pi 4 1 GB
3 did the usual raspi-config things and update/upgrade
4 checked out the system, works as expected
5 curl https://get.pimoroni.com/hyperpixel | bash
6. rebooted , installed Hyperpixel

Result is rubbish, reverse image on HDMI, Hyperpixel dead

Maybe the curl https://get.pimoroni.com/hyperpixel | bash gets the old hyperpixel install and the the Pi 4? Looks like it.

So back to 0,

1 imaged a SD with current Buster (feb 2020)
2 booted on a Pi 4 1 GB
3 did the usual raspi-config things and update/upgrade
4 checked out the system, works as expected
5 downloaded the Hyperpixel Pi 4 git repository
6. rebooted , installed Hyperpixel with ./setup.h

Result is Hyperpixel noise banner, HDMI shows normal screen

So install fails with the curl or setup ,and instructions clearly wrong?

Also made a github issue of the problem.

1 Like

Do you still have the SD Card that worked with the Hyperpixel on the Pi 3B?
If yes put that in the Pi 4B that now has the Hyperpixel on it.
If no setup the Pi 3 with the Hyperpixel and then swap the Pi 3 for the 4 using that same SD Card.
You might get lucky and get it working and usable until the issue is sorted out by Pimoroni.

I’m no expert but I do believe the curl bash install does more that the clone method.
Watching what happens on screen, that’s how it appears to me.

Tried that, no luck.

The Pi 4 version is really necessary, that is why Pimoroni created the Pi 4 version.

If your talking about the hardware, the Hyperpixel 4.0 isn’t a specific Pi 4 version, its just a 4 inch square version.
As far as the software goes there is this (which I think is for the 3.5 inch version)

this for the 4 inch

and this for the touch 4 inch

alphanumeric, thanks for your replies. But I already researched your suggestions or they are off-topic. I need help from Pimoroni.

To summarise: Hyperpixel 3.5 on Raspberry Pi 4, Pimoroni’s instructions and software not working, located here: https://github.com/pimoroni/hyperpixel/tree/pi4

There is already an issue open regarding the Hyperpixel 3.5 not working on Pi4, it looks like the Hyperpixel 4 works without issues as @alphanumeric suggested. Having raised the github issue you will get support from Pimoroni, but paging @gadgetoid here to draw his attention to the problem.
If getting a fix is urgent them there may be some knowledgeable people on the Pimoroni Discord that can help with some ‘realtime’ debugging.

Good luck!

There is no real hurry for me to get the Hyperpixel 3.5 working on a Raspberry Pi 4.

Since I was updating all my Pi’s to Buster and also doing hardware upgrades to Pi 4, it was the time to check if my displays like the Hyperpixel 3.5 could work on a Pi 4, and I was very happy to see this legacy device being supported by Pimoroni also on a Pi 4.

It does not work alas, in a way not like the other report, where it works sometimes. For me it never works, so I raised the issue in github.

I could live with the Hyperpixel 3.5 not working on a Pi 4, it is custom in the IT industry to leave older hardware quite soon as abandonware, due to costs and focus on new products. It works fine on a Pi 3 so my use of the display is covered for now. But a Hyperpixel 4 will not on my buying list to replace the 3.5, I would rather use a HDMI based solution that is not likely to become abandonware fast.

1 Like

Sorry guys & gals, I missed the actual issue ever so slightly. ;)
I’ve been using the Pi Foundation Touch screen. It doesn’t have the resolution the Hyperpixel does and its a bit bulky but it works. I usually have a lot of other bits attached to the Pi’s GPIO so the Hyperpixel doesn’t really work for me. There always seems to be a trade off with stuff like this. =(

Indeed, the Touch screen is a nice solution, well supported, does not take away any GPIO.
Wish the Foundation would make it in other dimensions like 4 or 5 inch. All these GPIO solutions are not perfect.
The Hyperpixel, be it nice and fast is the worst in taking away all GPIO , severely limiting any project I have in mind and too quickly abandonware.

I’d actually like to see a bigger version like 10 inches with a much higher resolution.
Both smaller and bigger has been asked for on the Official Pi Foundation forums. There are likely as many wanting smaller as those wanting bigger. The Pi Foundation won’t comment on any future product before its actual day of release so you never know if they listened until it actually happens. Which can be really frustrating at times.

Hi, you need to change the repo branch to pi4 within the config script

• wget https://get.pimoroni.com/hyperpixel
  • nano hyperpixel
  • this is the important step: change gitrepobranch from "master" to "pi4"
  • cat hyperpixel | bash

I also disabled the gl driver (6-A2-G1) as well as 4kHDMI output and composite video (2-D4-V3) using raspi-config.