HyperPixel 4.0 - Hi-Res Display for Raspberry Pi

I recently purchased one of your displays. Could you please recommend a suitable power supply unit (PSU)? I’ve been using it with a 5V 4A PSU, but I consistently encounter undervoltage issues. Additionally, could you provide the pinout for this display? I need more available pins for my project.

Power Supply or Charger, there is a difference?
Pinout is here,
Hyperpixel4 at Raspberry Pi GPIO Pinout

I recommend the originals from the Pi Foundation. Note that most PSUs are not optimized for stable voltages. The 4A are more than you need, but that does not mean anything. As soon as there is load, the voltage normally drops. That is absolutely normal, but optimized PSUs will stay within specs.

Hyperpixel displays use up all pins. The best thing that is possible to add a GPIO-expander (Pimoroni has one, Adafruit has some others). The expander uses I2C and that is about the only thing you have on Hyperpixels. But you should carefully check your needs because with an expander not everything is possible.

One other thing: if your only “undervoltage issue” is the yellow thunderbolt sign, just turn it off. I am running systems since years that always show this sign but without any problems. Thus as long as nothing happens (reboots, spurious errors) you can just ignore this warning. My impression is that this undervoltage sign is far too sensitive.

1 Like

First of all Happy new year !

[1.]
Power supply that I’m using is :::[ CLW-2005-W2E-EB ]::: with adapter to USB B port (for powering Raspberry Pi 3B+).

[2.]
I don’t have undervoltage issue in Raspbian because it happens while booting and then outputs “undervoltage issue” forever in that terminal.

Happy New Year as well!

First of all, you seldom find datasheets for these plugs, so this is good. From the figures, you can see a load regulation of 5% and an overall tolerance of 10%. The first figure would imply 5V ± 5% => 4.75V-5.25V which is just within the bounds the Raspberry Pi needs.

But your adapter will probably lower the voltage a bit, so it is no surprise that you have problems.

(and honestly, I don’t understand [2.] - this is a contradiction, isn’t it?!)