Pimoroni HyperPixel - 4.0" Hi-Res Display for Raspberry Pi

I just had this shipped to me via adafruit and it won’t turn on after opening the box and testing it on a raspberry pi 400 with the adafruit cyber deck hat. I’ve seen other posts about this screen not functioning as well and I wonder if mine was just faulty. I’ve tested it on a 3B+ as well and the screen doesn’t even seem to power on, I don’t believe it’s related to the cyber deck hat but I did test it on that before testing it alone on the 3B+. I made sure to run the installer listed here: GitHub - pimoroni/hyperpixel4: Driver for the Pimoroni HyperPixel 4.0" Touchscreen Display, still no luck. I also followed these instructions Fixing Pin Conflicts | CYBERDECK Bonnet and HAT for Raspberry Pi 400 | Adafruit Learning System to see if that made a difference on the pi 400 with the adafruit cyber deck hat, but still no luck. Am I missing something?

There is or was an issue with that screen and the cyberdeck.
Adafruit customer service forums • View topic - Pi400, Cyberdeck, and Hyperpixel4 (non-touch) not working.

1 Like

It seems like they were eventually able to get it to work with the cyberdeck after some adjustments. I wondered if my cybderdeck was bad by trying the screen alone on a 3B+ as well, but it didn’t even power on which is why I wondered if the screen itself was bad. I’m willing to try making other adjustments to the cyberdeck if need be, but since the screen isn’t working on the 3B+ I’m wondering if there’s something I could try with the screen specifically or if it’d be possible to just get a replacement.

What version of pi os is on the pi 3b? What happens when you run the installer?

Raspberry Pi OS Lite (64-bit), the Debian Bullseye port. I installed it via the official Raspberry Pi imager to a 16 GB sd card. I ssh’d into the pi to run the installer which didn’t return any errors during installation but the screen still didn’t show anything or seem to power on. I rebooted the pi after installing the driver and the display still didn’t power on or display anything. I suppose I could try running the installer on one of the other pi os’s as well, but since the screen also didn’t power on or display anythin on the pi 400 (which is running Kali) I feel like it’s more likely a hardware issue.

According to the product page, Hyperpixel is not yet fully compatible with Raspberry Pi OS Bullseye.
And likely won’t work with Kali? I’m thinking the installer won’t work with Kali.

That display uses DPI over the GPIO header. Your not likely to see anything on it without installing the software for it.

Where on the product page does it say Bullseye is incompatible? It looks like for images released after 4/4/2022 Hyperpixel drivers are preinstalled. I’m realizing the product description on Adafruit is not as informative as the one on Pimoroni, so I ordered the display with less info than was maybe optimal. I just tried a fresh install of RPI OS Lite (legacy) Buster (which the github repo says is supported) on the 3B+, ssh’d in, ran the installer, and rebooted but still am not seeing the display power on or display anything. I completed that same process on the pi 400 with the same results. I know Kali would have been a long shot, but I hoped to try and do some tinkering to try and get the display working with that setup, but because the display does not seem to power on at all I wasn’t able to.

On the Pimoroni Product page,
HyperPixel 4.0 Square - Hi-Res Display for Raspberry Pi - Pimoroni
It states,
Hyperpixel 4.0 Square is not yet fully compatible with Raspberry Pi OS Bullseye , scroll down to the software section for more info.

And on the Adafruit Cyberdeck product page,
Adafruit CYBERDECK HAT for Raspberry Pi 400 : ID 4863 : $8.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
It says
If you are cool with cutting a trace on the HAT, you can also use:

You could very well have a dud Hyperpixel. Have to rule out the usual suspects for a fail.
And just so you know, I don’t own a Hyperpixel. It’s on my wish list, just heven’t pulled the trigger on a purchase just yet.

1 Like

This link will let you e-mail Pimoroni tech support for support. I’d put a link to this thread in that e-mail.
Contact Us for Raspberry Pi Technical Support - Pimoroni

1 Like

Thanks for linking that page, I really appreciate you taking some time to help me out, I’m still kind of new to GPIO on the whole of it for raspberry pi so your advice helped me make sure I didn’t miss anything. Hyperpixel seems like a cool product, one way or another I’d love to see one in action!

The hyperpixel is a nice small high resolution screen.

I have a couple of the official Pi 7 inch touch screens. I use them on portable setups. They are DSI. My only complaint would be the low resolution for the size of screen. They are only 800x480.

Make sure you don’t have anything esle on the GPIO pins. The hyperpixel uses all of them.
Hyperpixel4 at Raspberry Pi GPIO Pinout

I use the GPIO for i2c etc on just about every raspberry Pi I have here, which is why I haven’t bought a hyperpixel just yet.