Inky WHAT No display EPROM detected

Hi!

I have a raspberry pi zero2 w with an inky WHAT board attached to the GPIO pins, and running the identify.py example returns an error “No display EEPROM detected”.
I have I2C enabled :

>sudo raspi-config nonint get_i2c
>0

(I believe 0 = true)

Here is the version of the inky package I have :

> pip3 show inky
Name: inky
Version: 1.5.0
Summary: Inky pHAT Driver
Home-page: http://www.pimoroni.com
Author: Philip Howard
Author-email: phil@pimoroni.com
License: MIT
Location: /home/evolmonster/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages
Requires: numpy, smbus2, spidev

The other prebuilt examples also return the same sort of error :

> python3 name-badge.py --type what --color red --name "Hello"
Inky pHAT/wHAT: Hello... my name is:

Use Inky pHAT/wHAT as a personalised name badge!

Failed to detect an Inky board. Trying --type/--colour arguments instead...

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/evolmonster/Pimoroni/inky/examples/name-badge.py", line 18, in <module>
    inky_display = auto(ask_user=True, verbose=True)
  File "/home/evolmonster/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/inky/auto.py", line 74, in auto
    return InkyWHAT(args.colour)
  File "/home/evolmonster/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/inky/what.py", line 39, in __init__
    inky.Inky.__init__(
  File "/home/evolmonster/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/inky/inky.py", line 86, in __init__
    raise ValueError('Colour {} is not supported!'.format(colour))
ValueError: Colour None is not supported!

I have tried attaching the inky to the raspberry pi both orientations, and it is seated correctly. I have not soldered the pins, as I am using a press-in header that came with the inky. But all looks correctly connected to me. But I cannot get the screen to be detected!
Can anyone help?

First, the reason the examples fail even when specifying the Inky type is that you’re spelling color wrong (it expects colour!) - that should get you over the initial hump.

It’s worth double checking that the Inky is fully seated; I’m not entirely sure what you mean by “a press-in header”, but it might be worth dropping a (in focus!) picture of the Hat on the pins.

Please don’t “try attaching in both orientations”; plugging a Hat in upside down definitely won’t work, and potentially damages it (because voltage ends up getting sent to places that aren’t expecting it).

Its funny you mention Colour vs Color. I am a brit living in america, and I used to constantly chastise people for spelling it wrong. Now I am ding the same! lol

I figured out what was wrong with my display. When I ordered the PI, I did not get the GPIO pins installed.
When connecting the inky screen to the PI, I was sandwiching it in between the header that came with the board. I have since learned that the GPIO pins have to be soldered into the board to make the proper connections. So I got a new set of GPIO pins and soldered them correctly, connected the inky screen to that, and it worked first time.
My bad! This is my first rasbperry PI, so I am learning slowly.

Thanks for your reply!