Looking for a desktop case for Display Hat Mini + Pi Zero 2

I’ve now just about got my little display hat project completed (the code is up and running to a usable state and everything is functional) and I’m now looking for a decent case to put the thing in. At the moment the zero is in a PiBow case, with the bare HAT on top, which works but is rather rough and ready and doesn’t protect the HAT at all.

Looking on the net, the only one I can find is this one, but it’s stupidly expensive (3D printed, £42-£98 depending on material and finish).

I was wondering if anyone has any other sources that they can recommend, or indeed recommend any company that could produce one for a more sane price (the design file can be downloaded for about £4).

Before I had a 3D-printer myself, I downloaded the designs (or created my own) and sent them to a small print-shop. The prices were quite reasonable, but this depends on material and size.

So the best tip is to search for something near you (e.g. a fablab or a small maker that prints for a reasonable price).

Yeah, that’s the way I’m thinking too.

I’ve ordered the design files from Cults3d and they offered a few suggestions for printing, so I went with one of those (via Craftcloud, being done by “We Do 3D Printing”). About £15 overall, so 1/3 the price of Shapeways. Could have got it a bit cheaper, but that was printed in Germany and I want to avoid Brexit delays and any import duties so went with a UK printer instead.

Hopefully it does the job anyway.

I do have to wonder though if Pimoroni are missing a trick here by not producing their own range of cases for their products like HyperPixel, Display Hat and all the generic-shaped hats (Unicorn, Scroll etc).