Missing man-pages on pico explorer

First, I’d like to say that I did my part of rtfm, but I did not find a comprehensive manual for the pico explorer platform.

• How to address the BREAKOUTS 1 and 2?
  • Which stepping motors can be attached safely?
  • How to address the PIEZO?

Those are just a couple of open questions. The link on the board to https://pimoroni.com/explorer just leads to the shopping page.

Where to find a proper manual for the item you sold?

I would appreciate a proper introduction on the product I purchased from your store and not only the two tutorials to some GitHub pages somebody did a week ago …

Thank you for your understanding.

1 Like

a lot of interesting stuff here I think… not 100% sure if its what your looking for ,I’m waiting until mine arrives before i start reading it ,as I wouldn’t remember what i read now …Raspberry Pi Pico & Pico Explorer Workout : 15 Steps - Instructables

1 Like

Thxs. I’ve seen this write-up. It is great and was helpful. However, I am looking for a general introduction on the item. There are 24 pins available on the explorer board. The pico has 40! Where are the others? Sure I can use GPs and breadboard components. BUT, those super cool breakouts are teasing me … how to access them?

I think much of this stuff is still being written, but from what I’ve been able to figure out:

How to address the BREAKOUTS 1 and 2?

Those are on I2C bus 0, with GP21 as SCL and GP20 as SDA. You’ll need to learn to use the I2C bus to address them, the official Pico MicroPython SDK doc has a short section on using it.

Which stepping motors can be attached safely?

The motor driver chip is a DRV8833, the Explorer module just seems to be set up for standard DC motors, and I’m assuming they’re driven by 5V.

How to address the PIEZO?

Wire a jumper from one of the GP pins to the AUDIO socket. Use the picoexplorer.set_audio_pin() function to tell the software which GP pin you’re using, and then use the picoexplorer.set_tone(Hz) function to make the piezo buzz at the specified frequency in Hz.

1 Like

Hello Shoe,

That might be true, that they released hardware and write the manual later. I should have thought of it myself. Anyway, your answer is a great help. Thank you. After enjoying the rare sunshine at my place, I’ll try to make more use of my pico explorer board.

10 hrs later: Sunshine did rule. After compiling a lot of *.uf2 I got very upset, because somehow the pico explorer library was missing or in “auto-run” modus. Well, anybody do not repeat my mistake and grap the uf2 at the top of the list, marked with “newest”. If you wish to work with pico explorer go to Working uf2 for pico explorer base . Now all is working fine.

I can feel the stress the guys from Pimoroni must be at. However, in the future it would be great to have a product with a proper documentation. If you have not enough time to write all up, then add some more external links to your product website, please.

Kind regards