Nvme base problems!

Here is my ribbons setup, i have tripple checked that contacts are on the pins side.

Have to go now, sorry but just checking!. When assembled fully the hat is under the pi with the SSD facing the PI , not below ( i did this once!)

Regards

Yes its like in youtube video

Sorry I am a bit confused by the pictures. The top one shows the SSD drive underneath. My SSD faces the PI board.

Make sure the video shows the Pimorni base and not the Pineberry. The Pineberry hat has the drive the other way around to the Pimoroni (I could swear that when I clicked on the link earlier it went to a demo of the pineberry hat, I must be imagining!

On the photo it flipped over the top, thats why its looks upside down.
If i flip it down hdd would be between base and rpi

This is how it should be normally.
But though you have it on top, the install looks correct. The firmware looks up to date, so I can’t see any reason this is not working, especially since the drive is one I’ve tested.

If you haven’t already, get in touch with support@pimoroni.com, and we can try replacing the NVMe Base to see if that makes any difference.

@z80 Looks like you have the right firmware there and it’s just not seeing the nvme at boot (or in Raspberry Pi OS), so something else is going on.

Could you send a photo of your setup to support@pimoroni.com and we’ll check it and send out a new NVMe Base to see if that makes the drives behave any different and to give you a spare so you can solder power to the other one in case that’s the issue.

I’ve tried a few Sabrent rockets (4, 4plus and nano) and MP33 (non pro) myself and they’ve worked, but send through details of the exact models/drive, ideally in the same as above so I can add them to the list of drives to check myself.

CURRENT: Mon Jan 22 14:44:36 UTC 2024 (1705934676)
LATEST: Mon Sep 25 10:44:03 UTC 2023 (1695638643)

It slightly worries me that your system things Sep 25 is the latest firmware still (even tho the Jan 22nd is installed), so if you haven’t already, fresh SD card made from an up to date install of Raspberry Pi Imager is best, but you’ve done plenty of debugging already, so we’ll get that replacement unit out :-)

@alex049
Ah, that explains my confusion. I just pulled mine apart and put on top to have a look! As @guru says the cable looks good to me! Sorry could not help more!

@guru I notice a slight change in the board from mine around auxiliary power input (I have batch 1) and supply of brass retainer. I take it this is just cosmetic ?

Here is mine!

@bobtrex We changed the aux power input in Batch 3 to be the JST landing that doesn’t show up on the bottom of the Base. The brass retainer is Alex’s addition :-)
We also removed some test pads in Batch 2.

@guru
Thanks for the info. I may order a batch 3 to make playing with aux power easier :)

@guru i have emailed the support, never heard back.

The brass busing holding the drive is from usb nvme adapter, i had few extra ones.

I have tried to reinstall rpi OS on my sdcard, run updates and upgrades, all the necessary stuff, this didn’t helped.

So for now, i ordered new base with the hard drive together, so no excuse in compatability.

I use 20mm standoffs to keep the base above the rpi it worked out great with the original rpi case.

I made a few holes in the pastic cover from original rpi case and added another standoffs to keep it above the drive, worked out nicely, enough room for ventilation and everything well protected. Will share photo if anyone interested.

I went for a side by side / end to end setup. Mine has the JST Landing pads so “batch 3”? It shipped on January 9, 2024.
Mine was the kit, NVMe Base + 500GB SSD. I have not enabled PCIe mode 3.
Smooth sailing as far as I know. If there is anything anybody would like me to look at on my setup, please let me know. I am a Linux noob, so you might have to spell it out. ;)

Just a thought, heat usually rises up, with your nvme facing down the heat will dissipate differently than if the nvme was facing up.
Which makes me wonder about heat dissipation in the normal nvme base config: some heat may be rising up towards the pi & slightly cooking it under heavy nvme usage. Idk…

I don’t think you will be having much heat from the NVME. You would have to copy gigabyte wise data for hours to produce a measurable amount of heat.

When I get my Crucial P3 I definitely will keep an eye, a use case that could use that nvme for hours would be NAS where large amount of data (video?) are being ‘read’. Do you expect the nvme to remain chill & not reach temps up to 50C under usage ?

Video throughput is boring. You don’t need an nvme for that. Unless you serve many, many users in parallel with different streams. And reading won’t stress the nvme anyhow.

Here are some figures with a Crucial P3 plus (headless mode):

You can see the system in idle state at about 550mA, in heavy use (write) you are between 600-900mA with some minor spikes (probably when the system clears the buffer caches to the SSD). So this is a plus of 50-350mA, so hardly 1W in addition to baseline Pi5.

Of course you somehow need to have a minimum of ventilation. Setting up the system vertical should probably already be enough.

1 Like

Thank you, can you not overlay the temp on your diagram using vcgencmd during idle/heavy usage? That would be interesting to have all these metrics together.

I don’t think Pimoroni have any recommendations on system positioning, once that board is mounted underneath, it’s unknown if that’s considered minimal ventilation but to me looks small & close.

My tool measures V/A externally. Of course I could somehow collect temperature data in parallel, but that would mean manual effort to merge the data.

If you worry about the M.2 temperature, you should check smartctl.