Old 2016 Picade PCB with Pi4

Hi guys,

I’m looking to upgrade the pi3b in my old 2016/2017 Picade.

I know the new X Hat is the recommended way to go, but it doesn’t support stereo output, which I really want to maintain.

I was therefore wondering if I can still use the original PCB that came with my kit with a new pi4?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

I can’t say 100%, but I can’t think of any obvious reason why not? Same 40 Pin GPIO header so its compatible with the hat in that respect, pinout is the same.
One issue may be can the 2.5A power supply power everything. The Pi 4 I would think, will use slightly more power than a 3B+
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/faqs/#pi-power

All that being said, are you currently running Buster? You will have to with a Pi 4B and there have been a few threads here with issues getting RetroPi working in Buster.
Heat may also be an issue, the Pi 4B gets hot, especially when working hard.

Thanks for getting back to me Alphanumeric. I’m going to show my novice-like level here and admit to not knowing what Buster is.

I’m currently running on the version of Retropie that was suggested when I built the machine in late 2016 and have been happy enough, but I’m sure things have come on leaps and bounds since then.

Buster is the current version of Raspbian, its the operating system. The Pi 4B will only boot from Buster, if you try to use Jessie or Stretch on a Pi 4B it won’t boot up.
A Pi 3B+ will work with Buster or Stretch. A Pi 3B can run on Buster, Stretch or Jessie.

If you give it a go, I would put your current Micro SD card aside and not redo it. Use a new spare card with the Pi 4B. That way if it doesn’t work out you can just put the 3B back in and no harm done.
You’ll need a different HDMI cable by the way. The 4B uses Micro HDMI. “Might” have to modify the Picade case too for access to the Pi 4B. Disclaimer, I don’t own a Picade, just going by the pictures and other threads on this topic.

Nice one Alphanumeric. Much appreciated.