OnOff shim not working correctly on bookworm?

Hi, just wondering if anyone has the OnOff shim working on bookworm?

I have used the same shim on a pi3 with external button, on an older os for a long time, so I know there are no issues with the shim. It is soldered to a header, so it can be moved between pi’s.

I moved the shim to a pi zero 2 w, running with bookworm. The red led activates when pressing the button, but it does not seem to be recognised by the pi, nothing further happens. I checked the processes running, and the cleanshutd script is running.

Any further advise on how to diagnose the issue?

Regards

That may be a side effect of the Pi 5 having its own dedicated on/off button? Even though your using a Pi Zero 2. Does the Pi Zero boot up when you press the button, but just not shut down when you press it?

I just put a fresh install of bookworm on my pi3 and now have the same issue on there. it worked fine on previous releases on the same hardware, so unless I am missing an obscure install step (curl https://get.pimoroni.com/onoffshim | bash) then at the moment the common theme is the bookwork release.

Pi5?

Yes the button works as expected on power up, just not on powering down, so it definitively feels software related.

Thanks.

Yeah, its software / OS version related. The new Bookworm release coincided with the Pi 5 release. And, as far as I know, has features backed in for use with a Pi 5. One being the Pi 5’s built in on / off button. That’s what “I think” is messing you up. I have no idea how to fix it though?

Presently, I’m only running Bookworm on my Pi 5. All my other Pi 4’s and 3’s etc, are running Legacy OS.

Downgraded to bullseye and now works fine on the pi zero 2 w, so I feel the issue clearly lies with the bookworm release.

1 Like