Phat-beat doesn't work on Pi ZERO but only Pi ZERO W

Hi guys,

I just received my Pirate Radio kit and I have built one and it is working fine.

Then I am thinking switch the board to my old Pi ZERO with wifi dongle so I could make something new with Zero W.

But it seems no sound if I switch the board ( Same SD card)

I could see the VU meter works as usually but just no sound. I think the difference is only that I use one USB device in Zero for the wifi. but even though I remove the wifi dongle , it doesn’t work either (the playlist contains some on-disk MP3s)

I assume the only difference of Zero and Zero W is build-in Wifi chip?

Here are some commands I tried but it seems the driver is fine and the DAC is detected:

pi@piradio:~/scripts $ aplay -L null Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture) pulse PulseAudio Sound Server default dmixer softvol pivumeter sysdefault:CARD=sndrpihifiberry snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac, Default Audio Device dmix:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0 snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac, Direct sample mixing device dsnoop:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0 snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac, Direct sample snooping device hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0 snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac, Direct hardware device without any conversions plughw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0 snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac, Hardware device with all software conversions

speaker-test:
`
pi@piradio:~/scripts $ speaker-test -l5 -c2 -t wav

speaker-test 1.0.28

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
WAV file(s)
Using device: phat-beat
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 2048 to 8192
Period size range from 1024 to 1024
Using max buffer size 8192
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 1024
was set buffer_size = 8192
0 - Front Left
1 - Front Right
Time per period = 2.850210
0 - Front Left

`
In the speaker-test. No sound but VU meter is working.

Any thoughts?

the obvious would be that the header soldering on the Pi itself is flaky. I can’t for the life of me think of any other factor that should be considered for the discrepency.

… check the pinout and ensure your soldering is adequate on all pins critical for operation:

1 Like

Right. My bad. You pointed out my problem. It works fine after soldering some again.

1 Like