Phat DAC install

Hello @gadgetoid. If you get the latest Raspbian Jessie image from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/ (released 2015-11-21) you can confirm that what @Gisky is mentioning in the first post is true.

(The files mentioned don’t have the lines suggested. /etc/modprobe.d/raspi-blacklist.conf is empty and /etc/modules only has i2c-dev listed)

It would be great if you update the article at http://learn.pimoroni.com/tutorial/phat/raspberry-pi-phat-dac-install to accomodate for this.

Also, @RogueM , thanks for the installer.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! The linked article will most definitely be updated in good time- probably to reflect @RogueM’s improved method.

I’m having a bit of trouble with my second PHAT DAC installation. The first one worked fine, but with this one I’m not getting any sound through the speaker.

The card shows up under aplay and mpd looks like it’s playing (i.e. no error), but no sound coming out.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? I’m not the best with a soldering iron so there might be a dodgy connection, but would the card show up at all if that was the case?

Could you swap the PHAT DAC or SD cards between your 2 setups? … this would point you to whether the issue is with the hardware (soldering, fault) or Raspbian.

Thanks. I managed to restore a working backup image onto the sd card and it worked ok, so it was obviously a software issue.

The only thing that I’d changed since the backup was trying to configure USB Gadget modules which involves changing the kernel, so I guess that was the problem.

The most likely is that the default BCM2835 module got loaded back in, I guess.

In theory, although I haven’t tried it, it should work with the custom kernel, since it uses external overlays and that’s the whole point of the device tree system as far as I understand.

… I’ll give that a go tomorrow but if you feel like experimenting just run the phatdac installer AFTER setting up the USB gadget thinghy the way you want it.

@LoneTone

I get no sound. I am trying to get it to work via CLI, though. Have you tried using mplayer (cli)?

Just thought I’d stop lurking + sign up to thank you all for the great set-up info. Currently waiting for soldering kit to arrive so I can get on with setting up my pHAT DAC - in the meantime it’s nice to have some pics of others to salivate over.

I installed the phat dac on my pi zero running RetroPie 3.7, but I am not getting any sound. The volume in Retropie stays at 0% even after I raise it up. When I go back into volume settings its back at 0%. I am getting a “no mixer controls” volume error. I did get sound to work on a Raspbian only install, but not with RetroPie. Any thoughts?

Thanks

I am still fighting my phat dac to work :( I use a pi2 with osmc. I got it working after hours and hours of trying everything I could find on the internet and somehow there was the dac-option in the audio menu. I really have no idea how I got it to work. It worked for several days. Then my Pi wanted to update today. After that the sound was gone again and now I have been trying around for hours again. Nothing helps. It’s really a pain :( Can anybody help me?

OK, finally it worked. What I did:

I removed all changes I had made (asound.conf, config.txt entries, modules entries)
Then I downloaded this file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8VsfKAD4-NOZnpuOXpXWkZ4T0U/view
And copied it manually to the SD-card (FAT partition, overlay folder).
Then I rebooted and once again manually changed in PI config the sound card.
Reboot
Then I changed in OSMC’s audio menu the audio output to hifiberry-dac.

Works again.

3 posts were split to a new topic: pHAT DAC install problems