Pibow Zero Case Update

Hi Pimoroni Crew,
I was just watching some pictures of your new Pibow Case. I noticed that the micro sd card can’t be unmounted when the case is assembled. Will there be a update to change micro sd cards without disassembling the case?
thank you

No plans for an update at the moment

Connor

ok,
thanks a lot!
I have some more questions, sorry…
Is it possible to get a replacement layer were the micro sdcard sits to modefie the case?
Can I order the Zero Pibow over the Swag store, or could you add this one when I shop over the swag store?
cheers

You’re welcome to measure up the layer concerned, redesign it in the vector package of your choice and try to cut a replacement on a local hackspace laser cutter. But we can’t spare the design/laser time to do one-off cuts, it’s just not practical.

Thanks gadgetoid,
I have some more questions, sorry…
Is it possible to get a replacement layer were the micro sdcard sits to modefie the case?
Can I order the Zero Pibow over the Swag store, or could you add this one when I shop over the swag store?
cheers

At this moment there are no additional layers for the Pibow zero.
And currently the Pi Swag store does not stock the Pibow zero. :)

Connor

Well I saw that the Pibow Zero is not available in the swag store. This is why I asked.
Since you sending them out and I live in germany, I would love to add the pibow zero at the swagstore… (your displaystand is available)
Is there not possibility?
cheers

Do you have access to a 3D printer? Maybe have a go at designing the alteration to the layer you have in mind and printing it out?

No, I’m not fortunate to have access to a 3d printer. Nor do I have a hackerspace around or someone with a laser cutter.

Do think it could be modified with a dremel? I modded a RPi B+ pibow so I can fit my RPi2 into it when the RPi2 first came out.

Just trying to think of something that will get you what you’re after.

I think using a dremel or anything else to alter the case is only going to cause more harm than good.

Connor

Honestly, unless you’ve got paper-thin fingers you’re going to need to modify every single layer of the Pibow Zero to get at the SD card. If you don’t shatter at least one during this process I’d be surprised.

Also the second to bottom layer is only joined on one side so you’d end up with a big hole here. Without significant modifications it just can’t be done, and that’s why the case is the way it is.

You’re probably better off just tossing the middle two layers away and mounting the top and bottom using standoffs.

Well,
thanks to gadgetoid for clarifying why the case is constructed this way! I will leave it at its intended Shape. It makes sense, and the RPi is more protected…

Thanks a lot guys!