Pico Explorer Example Problem

Greetings:
I have a Pimoroni Explorer for PICO.
I transferred the UF2 program from Pimoroni into my new PICO.
I downloaded the explorer “demo” program into the PICO and try to RUN the example and got the error file below.
I also tried to energize the local LED on the PICO but got an error message as well.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks
Tom

%Run expore.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\PICO\expore.py”, line 2, in
import picoexplorer as explorer
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘picoexplorer’
%Run expore.py
File “C:\PICO\expore.py”, line 2, in
import picoexplorer as explorer
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘picoexplorer’

If your running it from Thonny, you have to set the Interpreter to “MicroPython (Raspberry Pi Pico)”. How you do that depends on whether its Thonny on a PC or on a Pi.
I’m not sure if that your issue, but its something to double check.
On a Windows PC its Tools > Options > Interpreter. If Raspberry Pi Pico isn’t listed you need to install the latest version of Thonny. It’s what I had to do to get it listed.

I’m getting a similar problem having just bought a Pico and a Pico Explorer.
Fresh install of Thonny on Win 10 laptop. Can run a simple script that makes the Pico onboard LED flash using the following script (saved as main.py on the Pico board):

import machine
import utime
led_onboard = machine.Pin(25, machine.Pin.OUT)
while True:

• led_onboard.toggle()*
  • utime.sleep(1)*

However, if I run the picoexplorer demo.py from:
pimoroni-pico-main\micropython\examples\pico_explorer I get the error:

• File “”, line 2, in *
    ImportError: no module named ‘picoexplorer’

I get the same experience if I attempt the above on a freshly imaged Raspberry Pi.

Basically, I presume at some point I need to install the missing modules - I tried pip3 install picoexplorer but it’s not found on pypi.
It is listed in pimoroni-pico-main\micropython\modules, but I don’t know how to install it from there…

Please help…

Which firmware are you running on the Pico, the one linked to on the Pico Explorer product page?
I believe that you want to load the Pimoroni UF2 file.

1 Like

Hi, I’m using the one from here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/rp2040/getting-started/static/f70cc2e37832cde5a107f6f2af06b4bc/rp2-pico-20210205-unstable-v1.14-8-g1f800cac3.uf2

I’ve just replaced it with https://github.com/pimoroni/pimoroni-pico/releases/download/v0.0.9/pimoroni-pico-micropython.uf2

And it works!

Thanks Piratenik - I’m off for some Grog!

1 Like