Pico LiPo not booting as USB mass storage

Hi there, I received my 16MB Pico LiPo in the mail over six months ago but I’ve only just soldered my stacked headers to it. However, the Pico does not boot as USB mass storage when I reset it while holding down the BOOT button.

When I initially plugged in the board it appeared in my file system for approximately one second, but now it doesn’t appear at all. When I was soldering the board I heated up the pads to some pretty high temperatures, up to 450 C, for some extended periods of time, but there’s no visible damage to the board or flexing. None of the components near the USB port seem displaced. Is it possible I’ve damaged the board though?

Thanks.

Just to be sure your procedure is correct.
USB cable plugged in, Pico Lipo off.
Press and hold the Boot Button,
Then press and release the Power button to turn it on.
Then release the Boot Button.
Posting a picture of your soldering might be a good idea.

Also, try a different USB cable. It’s amazing how often it’s a dodgy cable :-)

Then press and release the Power button to turn it on.

For some reason, the Pico Lipo specifically has a power button which needs double-pressed to reset the board. Normally one press-and-release turns the board off, then you have to do another press-and-release to turn it back on.

Sweet, I just found a shorter, higher end usb-c to usb-c cable and it worked. Thanks.

Yeah, that’s why I said “USB cable plugged in, Pico Lipo off”. ;)
Because it has the built in battery connector, etc. It also has a power on off circuit built in. No having to unplug the battery.

Or a power only charge cable, instead of a Power and Data USB cable. Luckily I only have one of those power only cables and its clearly marked / tagged as such.

Yeah, that’s why I said “USB cable plugged in, Pico Lipo off”. ;)

Ah! So you did, apologies. I have a tendency to speed-read things.

No problem, I’ve been know to do the same thing. Especially early in the AM when I haven’t had enough Java to get the brain fully booted up, lol.
My Tufty is the same deal, ON OFF button that removes power.